My 96 geo prizm will not start sometimes it will crank but won't start sometimes you pump the gas it will start then dies

Asked by Aug 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM about the 1996 Geo Prizm 4 Dr LSi Sedan

Your Geo is a Corolla with lipstick. Which I mean as compliment. Get the OBD codes at AutoZone or the like, and come back and I can help you. otherwise just not much to go on. It probably has the 1.6 4A FE, single port fuel injection, a good, proven engine, but a hold-over from previous Corollas from the late 80's and early 90's..until replaced by the 1.8. All that aside get the codes please, I will look for your response or PM me

72,035

Fuel pump going bad,or filter stopped up.Hello fordnut : )

72,035

And if you get a code it will be misfire,starving for fuel.

Good Morning TST! And good call there

having to pump the pedal is not a good sign. The ECU detects what fuel/air mix it needs for ambient temperature and everything else. It should start without touching the throttle ..it has single-port throttle body fuel injection, not like the old days with carburetors pumping the gas puts more fuel in intake, to 'choke' it to start. Really need those codes. May need a new ECU

this is cool click on it to watch the animation

72,035

Agree,patting that pedal doe,s nothing but confuse ecu.