Vibration After Stop Accelerating the Throttle at or over 80 miles per hour

Asked by Dec 30, 2016 at 05:13 PM about the 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible

I own a 2014 V6 Convertible Mustang with these current and recent mods: JLT CAI + BBK 73mm TB + Spacer + Panhard bar + 3.55 Differential Gears + KINO Struts and Shocks + reinforced axle bearings, forgot which kind, but there, + Catbacks Flowmasters + Lower Springs...etc...so this is whats going on: when I drive the stang under 80 miles per hour, it does not vibrate, but after I accelerate the throttle to 80 or over miles per hour, the front side, and the entire car starts to vibrate, my mechanic assistant said, it might be that tires need balancing, well that's too simple, because, if that were the case, I would feel the vibration constantly at all times...and that's not the case, so it vibrates over or at 80 miles per hour, and I also tried researching Harmonic Balancer, but there isn't any for the year and model of my stang.

Please, I need to fix this problem, without needing to do a engine swap, if you know what I mean.

I am completely relying on my mechanic, I don't know how to work on my stang at all, and I don't want my mechanic to just stiff me over balancing the tires, when that will not fix the problem.

Any ideas will help.

Thank you.

17,995

Tires and wheels can very often only show vibrations at higher speeds, the worse they are the lower the speed they show up, as-well as tire or wheel imperfections that balancing will not cure. Hit the brakes very lightly after start to vibrate to feel the brake disc if they are warped any at all you will start to feel it in your brake pedal and the worse it is in the whole car. Is the vibrate felt in the steering wheel at over 80mph if so its tire or wheel or possible steering/suspension part. If its from the engine compartment have your engine and transmission mounts inspected.

Best Answer Mark helpful
17,995

If engine is shaking check those mounts as said above, the harmonic balancer was set up at factory and would have to be damaged in some way, but you could still put under drive pulleys on and gain a few hp if you wanted to get another mod under your belt. If the vibration occurs without any obvious sound then do the simple first and thats the balancing, may try out some wheels and tires from another stang to verify.

I tried placing my stock wheels, and the vibration is still there...

17,995

Tie-rods, ball joints, rotors, Some fords have cheap plastic parts like the cylinders or mounting hardware on/in calipers, brake pads crystallizing or too tight and wheel / Hub bearings & seats or loose parts and mounting hardware or uneven alignments. Unbalanced or bent drive shaft. Axles in rear end may have issues with bearings & seats or bends, control arms may be bent or bad bushings. Shock bushing and mounting hardware or loose, sway bar links and bushings worn or too tight or too loose. A weak coil spring. Front end alignment out or camber & toe too far out or in not letting the full tire tread stay on the ground. Tune up parts air filter clogged bad spark plug or wire causing rough engine shake. Rear end bolts loose If its never been wrecked you can look over a bent frame for the cause but these are just a few extra ideas I had. I know you said a mechanic will have to locate it but they may not be in a mind to locate without trying new parts until its found and all the work already done to it needs looked at again to be sure there is not something wrong or over looked there too.