Hello...I have a 1998 BMW 318ti. When I got the car, it was missing a spare. I want a full size spare. I''ve got all of the pieces for the puzzle, with the exception of the cover/holder itself, and the chain to lower it down from underneath the trunk area. Any suggestions on how/where I could find this, or maybe use another model's? I've got the full size spare, the jack, handle, all the tools, pretty much everything with the exception of the cover/holder & chain. Very tired of the spare sitting in the trunk, taking up all my luggage room.

30

Asked by Dec 28, 2013 at 07:05 PM about the 1998 BMW 3 Series 318ti Hatchback

1998 BMW 318ti, underneath the trunk spare tire cover/holder &chain.

ditch the bitch and sign onto AAA...the first three tows are free....tires are hella-reliable these days....only by sabotage or wear from 30,000 miles will begin to show~....in short save yourself the money and trunk space...unless you're in a remote area where AAA does not go, easily....this is my recommendation to you......relax...the tow will show~

besides....you know how many are KILLED on the motorway tryin' to change a flat..Bill Cosby's son is one of them....just get the service...your life may very well depend on you NOT getting out of the vehicle....especially in inclement weather....use your head...pay a guy to do it instead~

64,965

You could try ebay or part.com. HTH. -Jim

car-part can fix you up too~

30

Thanks to those who answered trying to be helpful in my quest, but, come one guys...I've got AAA! To me that's not the point, I want my car to be functional, and without the capacity to carry my spare properly, in my mind, it's not. I've been on EBay, no luck, and a couple of other parts websites also, no luck. Anyhow, I'd much rather have the ability to fix it myself (until I can carry the flat tire to the service station (on my own schedule) and have it repaired, and then continue on about my way without having to wait on AAA.

64,965

Here's another thought. You could search the copart auto auction site. Get a wrecked BMW, like yours, get the parts off it you need then maybe strip some other good stuff off it for the future or sell the good parts. That way you get what you want, help someone else get what they want and maybe make a few bucks too. After your done with the wrecked car you can scrap it for a few more bucks too. A win/win situation. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
30

Thanks.

64,965

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. -Jim

1,555

First - check ebay for cars being dismantled....then - go to the dealer and ask about getting the part new. although these cars were only in the US for a few years, they were sold worldwide for many more.....the part should not be that expensive.

30

I've been looking for cars being dismantled, no luck as of yet. The dealers don't have this available, I tried that route to begin with, that is where I got all of the supplementary parts from. One would think that the dealer would have the option of ordering it (from Germany if necessary), but I was told this wasn't an option (by a employee) at the dealership. Thanks for your help, I appreciate the spirit.

64,965

For future reference, manufacturers are only required, by law, to produce replacement parts for 10 model years. -Jim