how do you manually start the car when the key fob battery is dead?

Asked by May 13, 2014 at 07:23 PM about the 2013 Chrysler 300 Base

You cannot. You need to change the battery in the key FOB. The Key FOB is plastic and can be pried open to get the old battery out. They cost a couple of bucks, and you are back in business. The anti- theft security system will not allow you to manually do anything. You need the electronic code to be transmitting to disarm it and allow the ignition to work. You need another battery for your key anyway, so don't waste any time... just change it out.

The above answer is incorrect. You can start the car with a dead key fob battery. From the owners guide: page 11(ish)...the following is buried: NOTE: In case the ignition switch does not change with the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side of the Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition switch.

Jetlounge is correct! Works also on 2014 DODGE Charger SE Sedan

What is the nose side? Sorry just got my first fob

Opposite the key ring side.

Thanks a million jetlounge! That first comment needs to be deleted because I almost gave up..smh!

If you accept a Chrysler rental car with a push button start, be prepared to have to use the nose end push method when the key fob won't work. You will have to push really hard and probably multiple times before the car will start. If you get out of the car before starts, the alarm system will activate so be prepared for folks at the roadside park and the restaurant [next day] to be annoyed and glare at you that the horn is honking and you can't shut it off. I will not be accepting a Chrysler push button again.

I put the nose of my keyfob without the battery in it and pushed the start button. Started right up. Can't lock the car , but at least you can get the car started.

My Key fob quit working this morning I can't even open the car doors. Replaced Battery. Still not working

@Retta use the key that is located in the back of the key fob. On your driver door handle is a key hole.

Where is the start atop push button 2000 kia optima

Thank you Jetlounge you saved me

My 300 does not have a push start so what do I do now its a 2005 hemi c if that helps????

Changed battery on my 2012 kia serento fob and now it needs to reset, how do I do this? Any help please

I am sitting in my car done tried everything is there a way we can use the key

i heard you can pop the push to start button off and there is a key slot to use the manual key... is this right? how do i get the button off?

i have nissan maxima 2011 till tnight car was fine when i come to open the door it was not working i change battery but still same than i use manual key go in my car but i cnt start .is anyone know whats problem

Jetlounge, you rule! Saved me from making at trip across the city to save my spouse who didn't tell me her battery was low.

My friend has a bimmer bmw and his key is not working due tgat the battery died, is there any way to bypass this the security?

I just bought a 2014 Chrysler 300 with the keyless entry and the fob that has the hidden key in the fob. Can someone tell me what the key is actually used for please. The only thing I can figure is that you can open the door with it, and then use the nose end of the key fob to start the car, whether the fob's battery is in good working condition or not to then start the car by pressing the fob up against the start button. So is the actual back up ONLY good if the fob's battery is dead so that you can get into the car to then use the key fob to start the car ??? Does it have any other use ??? Someone stated that you can possibly pop off the front of the start button and there will be a key hole to stick the key in to start the car...Is that correct ??? I've never tried it. Any help is appreciated.........Thanks !!

I have a 2012 Cadillac SRX. I Just lost the key fob, but have the key. My other fob fell in some water and doesn't work. Can I start the car manually with just my key?

Jetlounge you are the best. You just saved my bf he was about to have a panic attack thats a bilion.

The negative to all this is that car thieves can do the same if they have any dying fob it will let them start your car. I had a 2016 Sentra and I was unloading laundry from my car, doors unlocked but fob was in my posession in the house, they drove the car away in the 2 mins I was in my house.

Is there anyway to start the car without the key fob at all? My husband took my keys to work this morning by mistake and he's two hours away. I have a spare key but don't think it means anything except that I can get stuff out of my car right.

We have a 2014 Dodge Durango. The key fob "not found" message came up on the dashboard. The first time we pushed start with the end of the key fob it worked. Immediately after that no luck. We unplugged the battery (located under front passenger seat) and then plugged it back in for a reboot and it worked.

I have a 2009 Chrysler and here isn't a push button, due to leave on my holiday half an hour ago Any help would be great

Question Can you start chrysler 300c while doors are lucked?

I mean would like to get car ready while it is in the garage

My 300 tells me when my fob battery is getting low so I just go get new battery so I'm not stranded :)

Hey so my 2013 300s isn't detecting my key fob if I lock the doors. I have to use the hidden key which will set off the alarm as soon as I open the door, manually unlock all the doors. Then wait for alarm to stop. Then get in and I have to put the nose of the fob against the start button to start it. If a door is opened to let someone in or out after I have started the car it says that the key has left the vehicle even though it's sitting in the cup holder. I just put a new battery in a month ago so it can't be a dead battery. Any help is appreciated.

I have a question if a key for a 2008 Chrysler 300 isn't programmed would it still turn on all the lights and the ignition clicks or what would it do

How can the key that is in the key fob start my 2014 Chrysler 300. Fob is fried. Where can i put the key.

The key in your fob is only to unlock your door. If the battery is dead try putting the head of your fob directly on your push start button and push to start. It worked for mine but if your fob is fried you might have to get a new one

not a Chrysler question my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the battery in both my main and spare fobs keeps dying. one died 4 days after I put in a new 2032 battery. Is there a way to tell if both fobs are somehow bad or if there is a problem in the main sensor on the dash/in the car itself?? not sure how to solve this problem without just constantly having a supply of new batteries on hand. I don't want to spend too much $$ on new fobs if they aren't even the issue.

Thanks Jerry it worked. But I'm on my way to get batteries

hi guys I have a 2016 chrystaler 200 instead of using my battery key we want to use the regular key. where can I find the place to put the key...?

My 2012 Chrysler Town & Country has a push to start button which really is just a clipped- in cap over the actual "starter switch". If the battery in the FOB dies and my car doors are locked, the "secret" key inside the end of the FOB will unlock the driver's door. THAT'S ALL THAT KEY IS REALLY FOR. Then I will pull out that plastic cap that's labeled Push To Start, and then insert the odd-shaped end opposite the key ring of the FOB into the hole/slot and push it in to start the car. Will the car start without the FOB...NO! You have to use the FOB to depress the button when the plastic PtS cap has been plucked out. If you can't pull out that PtS cap with your fingers use the tip of that stupid "secret" key to pry/dislodge it.

The only thing that worked for us after trying ALL the above was to unplug the car battery then plug back in as a reboot to the system. The battery crazy enough is located under the front passenger seat.

Annamax, would you please qualify by telling us your car's make and model, and are you in a USA vehicle?

This thread is about a CHRYSLER, or didn't you notice? So, if you're talking about your car and it's not a Chrysler or Dodge or Jeep...your problem is going to be ignored here.

On some Chryslers, there is a bonafide key slot behind that PtS cap clipped in over the start switch. So, use the secret key to unlock the door, pop the PtS cap off. and use the key or the dead FOB to start the engine. So there are 2 reasons for the secret key on some.

OOOOOOOHHHHH MY GGOOOOOD, I was stranded outside in the cold car couldn’t start , read this and it worked am now driving home thanks a million times

My key fob broke in half. I have a Chrysler 300 touring 2009. How can I fix it? It's the only one I have. Without the fob my car won't start.

#3 reason for key is for glovery compartment

I found that my 2008 Nissan Maxima will start with only the key when the fob is nowhere in sight. Has anyone else noticed this??