Battery drains while driving

Asked by Dec 18, 2014 at 06:27 PM about the 1998 Dodge Durango 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

I will charge my battery and over about 2 days of driving it will die. If i do not drive it then it is fine. My speedometer goes crazy all the time now and my gas gauge will mess up every now and then. I have replaced the battery and the altenator. the altenator is charging. Just need help trying to figure out what is slowly draining the battery while i drive?

11,615

There shouldn't be anything draining the battery while driving. I know you said it's a new alternator, but new parts are sometimes bad too. Sounds like the regulator may not be working correctly. Do you have a voltage reading on the cluster? With the car running it should be reading 12.5 ~ 13.5 volts under normal load. I would recommend having the alternator tested.

60

If your gauges are acting up especially the speedo. You might want to look at the pcm. I had a dodge van with the identical problem. Swapped the pcm and haven't had a prob since.

Did you battery slowly die also?

Yes the alternator has been tested and is charging also.

11,540

have the battery load tested when fully charged. if it shows 9 volts or less then the battery itself is bad.

battery is good. altenator is charging. while im driving.if is top atleast 6 times at a store its liking startig it is raining it.