My 64 Lincoln has a hard time restarting after short trips.

Asked by May 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM about the 1964 Lincoln Continental Base

If I drive 20 minutes to the store then run in and out quick, it won't start back up, just turns over and over.  but if I wait 15 minutes it'll start back up.  I recently added a spacer between the carb and the intake manifold because I thought there might be some heat related issues with the carb.  that seemed to help but the problem arose once again yesterday and the outside temp. is getting warmer so it still might be a heat issue?

23,075

The symptoms sound like either and ignition module or electric fuel pump failure but unless modified, your car has neither. I suspect a fuel problem. The spacer was a good idea. Perhaps there's an internal problem with the carb allowing all the fuel to leak out of the bowl. I've seen the old Holley carburetors leak at the accelerator pump emptying the primary bowl every time I park. Fuel smell and fire hazard for sure. Pull the air filter housing, block the vacuum lines, look for leaks.

8,195

You have vapour lock. The spacer helped, but if my memory is right, you have a cast iron intake manifold on that car. That means that you have to keep the fuel line off the intake to keep it from boiling. That would explain why it starts again after it cools a bit. The gas becomes liquid again so the pump can move it. There is normally a gap between the manifold and the line on those car, and you may have to put some sort of heat shield under the line to keep it cool.

I put an Edelbrock carb on a few years ago, there may be a leak, I'll look into that. I'll definitely try wrapping the fuel line (from the pump to the carb) with some sort of heat shield, it does get really hot under the hood. Might try this tonight, will let you know how it goes, thanks!

8,195

I've never had a problem with an Edelbrock carb. Which one did you use? The 1401 square bore carb body? That is made by Weber and normally lasts forever with no problems. What intake is under the carb? The Edelbrock Performer is a great one, since it is well made, and helps produce maximum torque at minimum revs. Jetted at set up properly, the right carb on that and the gas mileage and performance off the line really improve.

It may not be set up right? I'm def. not a carb expert. The intake is stock, I changed out the old carb because I had float issues and it ran rough but I don't ever recall this problem. I think it's a 1406 Edelbrock. I checked the fuel hose from the pump to the carb and it doesn't touch anything so I'm not sure it's the fuel line getting too hot. I'm just using standard rubber hose, should I be using something else?

8,195

You should be using metal line, not rubber. Also, if the line is more than a few years old, change it. The modern gas eats the rubber lines. Also, always use fuel stabilizer when you fill up. I am guessing that you don't use a tank of gas very quickly, and modern gas starts to 'turn' after about a month. Check the fuel filter, too. It could well be partly clogged. I would still think about putting some sort of insulation around the fuel line where it is in a hot environment. What you have sounds so much like old fashioned vapor lock.

I'll look into getting a metal line, I've changed the fuel filter so many times I can't keep track, fuel pump is the second one I've put on. I should probably drop the tank and have it cleaned. Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it.

I think either the intake manifold is cracked, or the gaskets are leaking. I've been noticing a little bit of gas pooling at the rear top of the engine block. Pretty sure the carb is not leaking. Either way I've got to get that fixed, but that might be the issue? Is there an Edelbrock manifold that I could replace the stock one with if it's cracked or should I just go ahead and replace with a stock one? Hopefully it's just a matter of replacing the gaskets. Thanks!

8,195

If you check with Edelbrok, they will tell you which intake to use. the Performer series is designed for maximum torque as low as possible in the rav range. That makes a big difference in how the casr runs. Also, the Performer intakes are allow, so you will likely save a fairish amount of weight over the front wheels.

1,465

When mine did this is was the solenoid needing replacement.