Why did fusible link blow on battery and alternator wire glow hot?

Asked by Jul 29, 2015 at 09:39 PM about the 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES

Mechanic changed battery and alternator.  I drove about 3000 miles on vacation, got
home and car wouldn't start.  Turned igition on, did not start car, but wire to alternator
became glowing red hot.  Mechanic touched and wire snapped off.  He repaired
alternator wire and checked to see alternator still good.  Reconnected battery and it
sparked and burned up fusible link in battery positive side.  He said we needed to
replace the fusible link and put an insulator on the alternator wire.  We have now
replaced fusible link, put insulator on the alternator wire and ready to reconnect battery,
however, before I do that, concerned that there may be some other thing wrong that
made it spark in the first place.  I can see no bare wires.  Suggestions?

135

My first thought is that the starter might be drawing too much current. Also, check to make sure you have a good, clean, connection where the battery ground cable is mounted to the engine.