Why did fusible link blow on battery and alternator wire glow hot?
Mechanic changed battery and alternator. I drove about 3000 miles on vacation, got
home and car wouldn't start. Turned igition on, did not start car, but wire to alternator
became glowing red hot. Mechanic touched and wire snapped off. He repaired
alternator wire and checked to see alternator still good. Reconnected battery and it
sparked and burned up fusible link in battery positive side. He said we needed to
replace the fusible link and put an insulator on the alternator wire. We have now
replaced fusible link, put insulator on the alternator wire and ready to reconnect battery,
however, before I do that, concerned that there may be some other thing wrong that
made it spark in the first place. I can see no bare wires. Suggestions?
My first thought is that the starter might be drawing too much current. Also, check to make sure you have a good, clean, connection where the battery ground cable is mounted to the engine.
Search Dodge Intrepid Questions
Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.
Dodge Intrepid Experts