No power to display for GPS, radio

20

Asked by Jan 15, 2016 at 02:38 PM about the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD

I went to work and after working started up the car
and radio did not turn on and screen was blank. It
has been a couple of days now and still has not
came on. Is there anything I can do? Checked
fuses and they are fine. Dealership said $1,300  to
replace radio. Not covered under warranty.

8,465

I would disconnect the battery for e couple minutes to see if it would reset itself, if not, check for voltage at the plug by the radio, If voltage is present, then you have a bigger problem

20

I disconnected the battery and waited 5 minutes and tried it and still nothing. Where is this plug by the radio? Do I have to remove the radio or dash?

8,465

Yes, I would double check the fuses first but if you already did, here's a video that might help get access to the stereo power plug. https://youtu.be/ApVyLEXNrgg Hope it helps

240

This is how I fixed it. https://youtu.be/VwbYrL8Iq5A

40

Wife brought home her 2012 Chevy Equinox tonight. No radio or cell phone connection. Radio info screen stayed lite up when the car was off. When I started the car, screen still on. No heater fan either. I fixed the entire problem by pressing the phone icon on the rear view mirror. Heard that pretty female voice say, " Call ended, goodbye." Everything back to normal.

50

I know it's a little bit late to give you the solution (to the poster), but this will be useful for whoever experiences this problem mainly for equinox, and other radios with MYLINK feature. I have a chevy equinox 2013 LT2, anyways, out of nowhere my radio stopped working, which means that the display screen will turn off and not work as well, so you won’t be able to see anything, you can just control climate controls without seeing the display. and that about it, you will lose power to the USB , I took it to dealership, the diagnosis cost was 100$ to tell me that my radio is not working when they tried to plug it to their scanner, which means you need a radio replacement, they asked for 800$ for new radio, and $500 for labour. Grand total of $1300 Canadian dollar. So if this happens to you, never accept to fix it at the dealer, my advice is to right away go buy trim tools, for preying against plastic so you can open it yourself, to diagnose the radio, don’t take it to dealership and waste money, with the trim tools start taking off the sides of the middle console then next take off the very top piece, it’s above the screen, where that piece has a speaker holes connected to it, just force it upwards and disconnect plastic cables by twisting it and pulling . Take off the control plastic unit, the one with all the buttons and stuff, and unplug the wire connecter. The screen will remain there so you don’t need to unscrew anything there, next forcefully pull out the very bottom it’s like an open glove box where the charging port is and once that’s out (remember to turn on ignition and shift the gear out of the way to D (drive) so you can get it out) once out then bring the gear back to P (park) unplug 2 wires for the charger unit. Start unscrewing all the 7mm socket screws where there close to the radio unit itself. I’m sure you’ll figure it out, next you need to pull the radio down and shake it out of there to get it out, once out you can check to make sure all wires are plugged right, u can check one by one to see if the screen turns on, of course you’ll have to switch ignition to power the radio to see if it works after u tried reconnecting cables. if radio still doesn’t work, and nothing on display screen, then get the radio part number on the radio, and take a picture of the back side with the plugs to make sure that the radio you will order has the same exact plug holes, and order the radio on eBay, you will find it for $60 US, plus fees... Once you receive the radio, just replace the cables to the new radio, put the screws back on, and start putting back all the things you took off. Note that the cables might be in the way behind the radio so use one hand to tuck in all the wires underneath the radio as they’re still plugged and one hand to maneuver the radio to go in to match holes for screws to go in. Another note...as soon as you plug in the new radio, turn ignition and check if radio works, you’ll see the screen will say locked, which means you have to take it to the dealer to unlock/program the radio, assemble everything back, and its ready to get programmed. The dealership charged me $183 to unlock/program. your new radio now works great and all functions will show such as Bluetooth, XM, AM, FM, and other things, you’ll have to go to settings to choose what functions you want to show on the home page. If back up camera is installed on car it will work even if the eBay seller doesn’t mention anything about it, just make sure you match all holes on the new used radio with your current radio that way everything will work. They will ship an info sheet too about the radio you’re buying, the dealership will need it. After all you will save at least 1050$, it’s a simple fix. Don’t be scared to try it, because I know nothing about cars and I got it done in 10 minutes, that’s why I’m sharing all this. If you have any questions ask maybe I can help. Good luck!!

30

I followed Bill5056 advice and it worked. No voice, but when I pushed the radio button after pushing the call button on the mirror, the radio began to work again... Weird..

10

I pulled out fuse 15 which is the display fuse started the car left it run for 10 seconds shut it off put the fuse back and it worked

1 Factory Radio is who I called. Great people to deal with and very helpfull. (855)723-4699

20

I too followed Bill5056's advice and like magic, it works again! Thanks Bill!!! and Guru98SGL!

Just did what GuruDMHNN said.... pulled the fuse (15), let the car run about five minutes. I turned the motor off and replaced that fuse. Next crank everything started working properly. Maybe signs of bad things to come.... but for now, thanks GuruDMHNN!!!!!

10

I have equinox 2013 and everything stopped working yesterday. Can't turn radio off, can't change volume or stations, can't adjust heater/ventilation. My mechanic said we have to connect radio to machine to verify input-output. If there is a problem, change circuit board...can get a second hand one. I read all the forums and a lot of people were saying, remove fuse 15, disconnect battery for 2-3 minutes. Reconnect, instal fuse and start the car. I'll be damn, IT WORKED !!!!!!

30

Press the phone icon on your OnStar rear view mirror. That fixed it for me

30

Hit the phone button on your OnStar located on rearview mirror... That fixed it for me