fuel problems

Asked by Aug 15, 2014 at 03:11 PM about the 1978 MG MGB Coupe

I am working on a 1978 MGB, I have replaced the fuel pump with a solid state pump just like the one that had already been replaced by someone else. all new fuel lines, good ground and 12volts to the power lead with the key on, 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. the fuel pump will not pump fuel, I can feel the pump engage, but it is not spinning (both pumps are acting the same). when I pulse either the negative or the positive leads to the pump (key on) a small amount of fuel will spurt out of the pump (output hose removed). I am hooking up everything correctly as far as I can tell. I have been a tech for 35 years and can figure out what im missing. can you please help me?

72,325

This is just a shot in the dark but since the fuel system is "dry" maybe 2 gallons isn't enough to prime the pumps. Try adding more fuel and see what happens. HTH. - Jim