Hyundai Sonata 2013 battery issues

Asked by Nov 17, 2014 at 05:56 PM about the 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

I have a Hyundai Sonata 2013. It has covered 20,000 miles and was working perfectly
for first 2 years. Last month my car's battery died. I called for assistance and jumped
started the vehicle. I also took my vehicle to Hyundai dealership. They didn't find any
issue with the battery. The service guy told me that if this happens again, get the car
towed to dealership directly for checking. After a month again the battery died. I towed
my car to Hyundai service station. This time too they couldn't find anything wrong
neither with the battery nor connections.

Has anyone faced the same issue? What could be the possible reason that battery
drains off in 30-40 days after jump start? Can anyone suggests anything?

you should have the alternator tested. also have the car tested for a parasitic draw.

I have the same problem and same year. I will park it for a few minutes and randomly sometimes the battery will be completely dead when trying to restart it. After reading a couple forums I am going to try taking the lights off auto first, then if that doesn't make a difference then I'll see about pulling the fuse for the radio (though I read something about the fuse also tied in with the security and something else so not sure if I can pull that.). Anyway, I'm going to start troubleshooting and see where it leads. 2 days ago it died and got it jumped. Drove it about 5 miles to a pep boys and the battery was fully charged and tested good and the alternator was tested and good. I hate troubleshooting cars!

That is an extreme draw! There are a couple of good videos on parasitic draw testing newer vehicles. has a good one, but there are others too. I would suggest trying them it is a little different on the newer cars because of the security and computerization, but not too bad. I think you can do it with a cheap multi meter.

Misty Apostalo

Same here!! Our dealership said the car is almost 3 years old now and to replace the battery. We are trying it today.

Vince Wirth

Look at the rubber bumper that moves the hood lock switch. Let me tell you the story. I just bought a 13 SE and found that battery drain was about 480 milliamps when I thought everything was off. This is about 100 times what it should be. After reading the owner's manual, I noticed a statement about the entertainment system going into "WARM UP" when the car was unlocked. So-- lock the car and the extra drain will dissappear. Things changed but the current was still high. Reading a little more, I find that the hood switch is part of the lock circuit. Pressing the switch down and locking, the current went to 37 - 45 ma.After releasing the switch, I look up at the hood and notice that there was nothing there to work the switch. A rubber washer did the trick.