Starting Issues with 2013 Hyundai Sonata

130

Asked by Mar 18, 2014 at 02:00 PM about the 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS FWD

2013 Sonata w/25K miles; car will not start; lights, windows, radio etc. all function; turn key & no noise at all; this is the 5th time it has happened in the past 6 weeks; replaced the battery; even after replacement had to have it jump started by Rescue Rangers/Hyundai Road Service & drove to dealership where they replaced starter arm; yesterday, drove to work, backed into parking spot, went out 2 hours later, car would not turn over or make a noise; called to have it towed to dealership, showed tow driver it would not start; towed to dealership where it started up and has continued to start without incident; has anyone encountered this problem? it's one of the best vehicles I've had in the past 30 years, but it is getting beyond frustrating having to be concerned will it or won't it start & where will it potentially strand me.

130

the dealership called tech who advised them to replace the interruptor switch whcih the did. The car has not experienced the problem since replacement

30

I am having a similar issue. My car worked fine for 2 years/ 22000 miles. Suddenly one day battery died and dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it. I don't know what to do. Should I ask them to change the battery?

20

DID YOU FIX THE PROBLEM? I AM HAVING THIS SAME ISSUE.

10

I have a 2012 Elantra and this is happening to me as well. I replaced the battery two months ago because of getting stranded. Today I stopped for gas and had to get a jump start! When this happens, the brake is HARD and will not push in. I have a push button start. Usually, I hit the brake, hit the start button and it cranks. When this happens, I hit the brake (and see that it is hard), hit the start button and only the auxiliary power comes on. One second on a battery charger and it cranks right up. Went straight to O'Reiley's and everything checked out fine...battery, alternator, and starter.

Make sure your battery terminals are good and tight. I had a problem similar to this yesterday. Parked the car, went into a restaurant, ate, came out and neither the door buttons or the remote would unlock the car. I unlocked it with the key and started OK. By the time I got home (about 5 miles), the doors and remote worked again. The dealer today (2/3/2017) said that the negative terminal on the starter battery was loose. Tightened...so far, so good.

30

I am having the same recurring issue of my 2013 Sonora not starting. No power to anything. Putting it in neutral to start doesn't work anymore. I do not trust the reliability of this car anymore. This has been going on for 3 years now. Dealer and Hyundai will not do anything about it.

Some of these sound like fuel pump problems.

30

I’m having the same issue with my 2013 Hyundai Sonata sometimes it starts and sometimes it don’t had battery,alternator,and starter checked and they were ok. The dealership couldn’t find anything wrong with it.I have called the corporate office twice and they said someone would call back they never did.l went yesterday where I purchased the car to try and trade it in I had no luck and the car wouldn’t start for almost an hour. I’m just going to call the bank and do an involuntary repo because I’m not paying another dime on a car that might have me stranded at any giving moment. I’m so frustrated I have put a lot of money into this car

Did anyone find the actual Cause to the issue from Jwags3