I lost my only key to my 2001 dodge durango. It was the black key with the ram. I dont have theft system. I need another key for my durango since i lost my only ignition key?

Asked by Jul 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM about the 2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

My trucks broke down 5 miles away
And my only ignition key is lost.
Anyone have Sum advice besides thr
locksmith or dealer? Just need to get
cheap key so it doesnt get towed. And
me and my kid are gna get spares
made asap

Every 2001 Durango has an anti theft system. Every one. Standard factory equipment. Can you maybe tow it with a tow strap (no chain please) to home? Then deal with it? before it does get impounded, depending on where it is.

Then, if you bought it new(?) you should have a metal tag with numbers that a dealer can make you a key. They may be able to make a key from the VIN

Well if it has a theft system wouldnt it say or have a lite,even stickers anything..im sure but im saying mine does mot and if so trust me that thing shouldA alarmed yrs ago. Especially since its been broken into. And its even locked up now parked. Yet i jus went to it and stuck a stick thru cracked window. I even opened the hood and messed with my truck to see whTz wrong. im so freaking irriAtated. How is this happening to me during my worse times. Oh Ya And the metz bus..they wont pull it home for me!! Someone said i could put a new ignition in or pull one maybe? I need like every possible suggestion except worrying about paying money. I have forty bucks to my name for 2 weeks. could i try to make a lil mold myself and then take wht i came up with to rural king and jus keep tryin til they get it lol? Idk what im even talking Bout but hey tht seemed like sumthin i could try cuz i hve nothing to lose except my only vehicle and my sanity

Okay. anti theft does not mean alarm. It only means that the ECU will not allow the engine to start, No audible alarm, you can smash it with a hammer and there will be no horn blowing, lights flashing nothing like that...except there are two ways an anti theft can do it's intended function...not let it start by either not providing ignition or fuel. Not an alarm, two different things here.

Alrighty

And you have $39 more than I have for the next 2 weeks.

Best wishes. really. I hope you can find a way to get it going

2,595

You have go to the dealer for this one, there is a chip in the key that has to talk to your Durango and the dealer is the only one that can get you a programmed key, if you would have an extra key you could get one from aftermarket shop or ebay and program it your self but with out a key the dealer is the only choice. Have the vin number with you and you should be fine.

10

I have a 99 Durango and security light is on as well and won't let me start I done replaced the cam sensor and crankshaft sensor it ran for 30 mins then shut off on its own and then security light turns on what could be the problem here?

first you didnt say where you were at state maybe city. most police have numbers of places that make keys even without the original key. they will only need to see your title and ur drivers liscense to verify its your own vehicle. police are really good people and helpful ok. never be afraid to give them a call. I once lost mine in a snow drift at walmart and couldnt find it. a police officer came, let me sit in his heated car and use his own cell phone to call around 5 key making places to see if they could make me a key. all ignitions are same all makes just differnt on years so they poke a few numbers into the computer that makes the keys and wallah a new key...its easy...ive seen my key guy do it for people and myself and my sons who have lost keys. without having the first key. costs about 30 bucks. call the police dispatcher and explain your locked out of your car and need help. this will get an officer sent faster.