Just replaced output speed sensor on my son's car, now garage is telling me they need to pull the transmission because the 2/4 CVI is low (14). Car runs great. Input?

20

Asked by Apr 04, 2015 at 11:44 AM about the 2005 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

Car is running fine and I'm not sure I trust
this garage. They're saying this is urgent,
expensive, and absolutely necessary.
Planning to get 2nd opinion. Just looking
for some experience, input, suggestions
here.

First know that I have virtually no experience on a Neon. But what I do know is that when a shop tells you something is "urgent, expensive, and absolutely necessary." you are doing the right thing, asking for another opinion. The Clutch Volume Index for 2/4 spec is 20-to 77 but the transmission temperature is vital during data test. Was this a big shop with expensive computers and diagnostic equipment? If not, a regular OBDII scanner will not show the live data of oil flow. Only a dealer or big shop with a $10,000 diagnostic machine can do this

An OBDII scanner that shows fault codes won't work. Those numbers are oil-flow, not electrical voltages or ohms or anything. The clutch plate may be worn in the tranny, but those numbers can estimate how much life is left...but urgent, expensive, and absolutely necessary....? Read up here: http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2005-dodge-neon-hi-please-need-help-ok-2005-transmission-shift-problem-check

20

This was an AAMCO shop but small and independent so I don't think it was a large machine. And I wondered about the temp. They kept looking things up which made me wonder if they really knew what they were talking about. And when they immediately started talking pulling the transmission, $1300-2000 repairs, etc, I paid for what was done today and told them I'd be in touch....I'm a 30-something single mom, and I kind of feel like they thought they'd hit the jackpot with the dumb, gullible woman!

Further reading I found your Neon with A604 transmissions have chronic input and output speed sensor problems. So your output sensor problem is common. And confirms the the CVI data only is an indication of transmission wear. A low read is not as serious as a HIGH read, a too-high is more fluid is being pushed to maintain input-compared-to-output speeds, and a low, what you have, is not enough of same. Can be as simple as low fluid! and a 1 hour drive may allow the TCM to re-learn how much fluid needs to be pushed after changing speed sensor

Best Answer

Thinks about Aamco's motto" Half the people that come to Aamco don't need a new transmission" Wow, is that so, why not "Half the people that come to Aamco we stick them for a new transmission whether they need it or not" You would not be the first, and you're not gullible, more like not experienced with transmissions. When you began to wonder about them, your instincts were kicking on, and right. A trusted and should be honest chain. People trusted Jiffy-Lube too and look where that got them. Drive the car. See what happens. If you did not get a warranty, go back and get one in writing. Best of Luck suz.

20

Thank you so much for the input, I feel less stressed now!