This problem is driving me crazy. I have a 2004 Neon with 2.0 automatic. My temp gauge tells me it is overheating. It doesn't pin in the hot but goes just below. New radiator, thermostat, temp sensor,

145

Asked by Jan 01, 2012 at 09:49 PM about the 2004 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SE Sedan

About 7500 miles ago my Trans line broke inside the radiator and caused the colong system
to fil with Trans fluid. I shut the car down immediately and did not end up with coo
Ant in the Trans. I replaced the radiator, thermostat, and had the system repeatedly flushed
until the coolant was clean. Everything worked out great. Asa mater of fact, the car ran coler
than it ever had in the past. Normal temp range pre radiator replacement was right in the
middle. Post it ran between cold and mid about 1/4 up the gauge. Ok life was good for about
7500 miles and I'm not convinced my current problem is related. I thought I should mention it
to give full history. Recently the gauge started shooting up to just below hot. Way to high for
normal. It doesn't run there all the time. Sometimes it will run just a hair above mid range. So
here is what I've done to address this so far. Reflushed the system, replaced the ther,Oscar
again, replaced the engine temp sensor, checked to make sure fans are running and coming
on before the gauge goes hot. I also burped the system and double checked to make sure
the coolant is full. It's not steaming, gurgling, over bubbling. The car has 165000 miles.
There are no signs of oil in the coolant or leaks in the system. Ive Owned it since 90k amd
habees one al maintenance regularly including timing belt, etc. I'm wondering if the sensor
that controls the gauge could be bad. Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

145

Sorry for the goofy text. It's an iPad thing.

925

did you check to see if the water pump is working? there might be an air lock somewhere. how long did you burp the system for?

145

Scott, I can see water flowing when I take the cap off. assumed that was a good indication that the water pump is working. I burped the system for only a minute or less.

925

ok you have to burp for way more then a minute. i usually take the rad cap off and let the car run for about 30 to 45 minutes. keeping an eye on the coolant level of course. sounds like theres an air pocket in there somewhere.

145

OK i'll try it. The process I was told to follow is to rev the engine to about 2k rpm with the cap off and squeeze the upper radiator hose. Is this the correct process? Also, should I see air bubbles at all when looking in the filler neck. I see continuous clusters of small bubbles while watching the coolant flow but I'm not sure if that is escaping air or just the result of the coolant flow.

925

thats just air coming out of the system. the way i have done it is, to let it idle for the 30 to 45 minutes and it will force the air on its own and keeping an eye on the coolant level. and i have always had good results with that method. you want to have no bubbles in the coolant system.

Best Answer
145

Thanks Scott. I'll try it.

925

your welcome.

925

how did it work out for you?

145

Scott, I did it last weekend and drove the car all this week with no problems. It appears to have done the trick. Thanks so much for your help.

925

hey thats why I'm here.

Scott, I am having to same problem with my 99 Neon..it has ran on the hot side since day one..How do I properly burp the system? and should I let it overflow out of the radiator cap..

145

Yes.The way I did it was to remove the cap, start the car, and continue to fill it with water from the hose through the plastic reservoir and let it overflow with the cap off for several minutes.I tried to capture the coolant until clear water was coming out. After several minutes I switched to coolant and then stopped and put the cap on when coolant came through. I'm not sure if this is the proper technique but it seemed to work. I also replaced the thermostat and made sure the fanss were coming on correctly as well. Maybe Scott can confirm if I did it right or not. Thanks again Scott.

thanks..I know my fans are working correctly...and I will try that

925

i usually do the whole brupping thing throught the rad cap and i use 50/50 premixed coolant. other then that it looks right.

30

hey scott my 2005 dodge neon keeps over heating i fill up the coolant box with anti freeze and it still gets hot i was thinking my thermostat might be stuck? and both my fns quit working on my car i havent a clue why

925

try changing the fan relays and check to make sure that your coolant is flowing by opening the rad cap before starting the car then start the car and check the flow.

70

Hey Scott, seems like u kno a lot. I have a 99 dodge neon, new thermostat, new radiator, fairly new heater core. Yesterday, put in new radiator, before that, heat was fine and hot. Once in, started car, started to get warm, then, as I drove away, warmth started to get cold! This morning, no heat what-so-ever! What could b the problem?? Thanx!

925

sorry it has taken so long but that almost sounds like your water pump isnt working.

925

if you have no flow then you have no heat. hows the engine temp?

30

So i for sure need help i have a 2004 dodge neon it is running hot and gurgling when i cut the car off it has a new thermostat, radiator, rad cap, waterpump, hoses, and sensor. We have burped the system for 45 min and still same problem arises... help

925

the head gasket might be going i have seen that problem on other cars before. neons as for as i know are known for having head gasket problems. other then that i cant see why it would run hot unless the thermostat that was put in is to high an opening temp.

60

Scott u seem like the guy to ask....I have a 02 neon the temp gauge doesn't show hot but when I cut the car off it starts gurgling and sometimes leaks from bottom of car I have to keep putting water in the coolant reservoir tank. Could it be water pump thermostat or what? Thank u

925

it sounds like the water pump is leaking if it is leaking from the bottom of the car. i had the same problem on my 1996 neon. the thermostat is on the top side of the engine.

60

While it's running it runs great it's when I stop and/or turn the car off then it starts to gurgle from the reservoir as if it's boiling water then it starts to spit out water from the overflow hole on the reservoir that's where all the leakage is coming from. I've done replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. Temperature gauge inside car never reaches or shows its getting hot. Not sure if it's doing what it's suppose to or what. Thank u

925

to be honest im a little lost on this one

1,405

could be a faulty rad cap (it happens) or the headgasket is leaking. to know for sure you would have to have a mechanic perform a leak down test on your car.

60

It was a broken radiator cap and the reservoir wasn't mounted properly all good now thx guys!

1,405

welcome

I've just recently started having the same issue as well with my 05 Neon. When I run the air for an extended period of time, it overheats. I'll try some of the tips above to see what happens...

10

I have a question as well. My neon is a 2003 SE. It has been overheating for weeks now. I took the car in and the head was cracked, so I had that taken care of. The water pump, head, and thermostat were all replaced as well as a few other things. When I got the car back, it was running really cool. In fact, the check engine light came on saying that it was running too cool and that the problem was the thermostat. The next day the car was overheating again. I took it back to the shop, and they replaced the thermostat, but a week later it did the same thing. I just got it back yesterday, and the check engine light is on AGAIN, so I know it's going to overheat on me today or tomorrow. The mechanic I'm using has been doing this for a looong time, and he is stumped as to what the problem is. Any help?

10

By the way, the radiator was replaced as well.

10

Check your temp readings using scan tool, start car and get it up to temp 195 to 200. Pull fuse box cover and hold your hand on the fan relay if it's working the way it should, it will click (engage) at 210, there will be a slight delay till fans come on. Fans will run until temp is at about 195 to 200, th3n they'll kick off. Temp should climb to 210 again and the process will repeat. If your fan's fail to kick on or will kick on only at 218 to 220, your relay is shot. You're welcome.

65

I have a 2005 neon I have been having overheating problems for a while now. I replaced thermostat and temperature sensor it was fixed for a week. Then I had to replace the fans because the clip where the radiator fan plugs in was broke it was fixed for about 2 weeks now it always gets hot when idling, but as soon as I start moving it cools down almost instantly. I've never let it get hot enough to go in red but it has gotten close. Ive checked fluids and no leaks . Help please

10

my car keeps overheating , 2004 dodge neon, I just got the coolant reservoir fixed because it was leaking, now im not sure what it is, this morning I added coolant before work like at 8 am and drove to work at 10:20 takes me 40 minst to get to work, when I slow down a little the temp. gauge goes down but only a small bit, its still by the "H' , my car also smokes when its on H. I know not to drive it like that, but I had to get to work. Any help? Please?

30

Hey Scott I have a 2003 dodge neon I recently put a new radiator the thermostat is good and I can see that my pump is working I see the water flowing . My temp gauge stays in the middle but my reserve tank heats up bubbling sound I was told to flush the engines water how do I do this

55

hey scott, i hv an 05 dodge neon, it starts losing power after it heats up, roughly 5 miles down the road, it goes down below 20 miles per hr and wont go over 60 miles per hour...i was told i need to get a new ecm for it..do u kno anything bout my situation?? thx

30

Hey Scott my daughter has a 05 neon and her car his overheating we see no leaks no where have replaced thermostat, radiator fluid radiator cap. getting ready to replace temp sensor. How do you burp the radiator was told that could be the problem also. Please let me know what I can do for her.

30

It seems we have similar issues, in my dodge sx 2.0 had the same problem & I replaced thermostat element, radiator cap, coolant & bleed/burp the system, now engine temp became normal but in my surprise coolant reservoir tank filled up to the full & overflows, what might be the reason, thanks

30

Have a 2005 neon sxt it started overheating a bit like 2 months ago first I switched was to 180 thermostat it fixed for a week then I replaced both fans and cleaned the radiator it fixed for awhile now if at idle for awhile temp goes up almost to redline removed the thermostat so it has none on now and problem is once in awhile but still there waterpump is 6 months old any help would be appreciated...

10

I picked up a 2005 Neon for my daughter a month ago and after driving it about 2 weeks, it began to overheat. I got a new thermostat from the part store and had it installed. The next day, it was overheating again. We burped the system as mentioned in several other suggestions in this blog, and then it began to run cold and the engine light came on. We replaced the sensor on the engine block, checked relay switches, verified that the pump was working, verified the fans were turning on.. then a friend told me that they had issues with a generic thermostat that is sold at a part store not working properly. We went to the Dodge dealership and got a factory thermostat, and now everything is working normally.

80

Hey Scott, I am also having an over heating problem in my 2003 dodge neon. It started yesterday. I usually catch on to what is wrong but now I'm baffled. My radiator is new just got that replaced, I just made sure all of my fluids are filled to their max. I put a quart of transmission fluid in and it came right back out on to the ground I'm thinking because I did over fill that. When I'm driving the temp gauge rises never to where I have to pull over, shut off and sit till it cools down but it gets higher then normal then it starts making this noise like something is rubbing and then I smell burning antifreeze coming threw my vents. There is something serioulsly wrong. My ac is still cold so I'm under the impression that it's not my head gasket. I need some advice to what is wrong with this vehicle. PLEASE HELP

30

Hey Scott. I had a 2005 dodge neon and it just started to run hot. I've notice that one of the fans does not come on. The fan that comes on is the one when i turn the air on.I figure that could be the reason on why it's running hot. What do u think it could be

Scott!!! I have a 97 Dodge Intrepid, plenty of miles on it... just recently on a cold start or after the car had sat for a couple hours after being ran, and then started again, I went to drive away and the temp guage shot straight to hot, water light came on, then the temp guage went back down to cold, then straight back up to hot... then back down to just above cold. Half the time it registers cold all the time, other times its just below half guage.... i hear no gurgling or bubbling, no steaming or smoking.... but after the car runs for a few minutes, I've been noticing white smoke\steam out of the exhaust pipe while running. It would do this shortly after being started and would last for a good while. the overflow\coolant tank is full to where it needs to be, the fans run constantly on the radiator (hard wired because I think the last owner did it, due to the sensor being crap) Im wondering if I simply have a faulty temp sensor? I drove it today with heater going full blast just for peace of mind... if its hot, its cycling the coolant. But it never bogged down or quit from over heating... but it is very alarming to see a guage go that quickly to hot after a cold start, or even after its been off for a few hours and started again.

HELP! I have a 2005 srt4 ACR big turbo and forged internals so my car will over heat almost to the top then it will shoot all the way to normal operating temp. After it does this smoke will come out of my exhaust? But I can't see any oil in the coolant also oil looks fine not milky or anything? Could it be head gasket????

10

Please help I have a 1st Gen. Neon a 97 highline. It was a second hand buy and I have replaced the ac intercooler the thermostat,thermostat housing , the top and bottom hoses & the ac/heater relay all in effort to stop a over heating problem. To no avail ! Is the wiring a issue on this model of vehicle or have I missed or over looked something in this problem shooting procedure?

25

Hey I have a 2005 dodge neon. I replaced thermostat and flushed my system. It flows perfect and now all of a sudden it gets close to the H but not exactly on it.

10

Mines running hot and fluid is bagn up into mi radiator and water jug .. I need help ease

Can i get any kind of feedback? I need some advice

i have a question as well....i have 2000 plymouth neon.....i have replaced the radiator, thermostat, hoses, and fan....it always runs cool. about last week it started overheating..when i turn the car off it fills up the reservoir boiling over....when i take the radiator cap off it is bone dry i keep adding fluid but noticed today that when i take the cap off it starts to leak fluid from the bottom near the belts...it also leaks when i squeeze the radiator hose to check pressure...also while driving it will start to overheat and then it starts to go back down like all of the sudden

Josh I need some help bad I have done everything I can think of to my 04 dodge neon sxt it will not stop overheating I have replaced almost everything the only thing I havent done is replace the head gasket this is my only car and I'm at the verge of losing my job. Someone please help