Can a cam sensor malfunction indicated by the code p0340 cause an engine knock?

Asked by Jan 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM about the 2005 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

Because of the engine knock I replaced the engine with a used one with 51,000 miles on it. Then I pick up my car and before I get home the same code comes up on the computer. Did I just get scammed? Is there any hope for my car to be fixed? I have spent $1700 so far.

98,025

The code (P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction) may have not cleared yet. The symptoms, along with the light are lack/loss of power and/or engine stalling. -- Engine or rod knock is very distinctive. Hear it once and you'll never confuse it with anything else. At idle, an engine with a bad rod bearing will sound normal. Give it a little gas and it sounds like someone is rapidly tapping on metal with a hammer.

1,565

and dont confuse rod knock with piston slap or lifter noise. both piston slap and lifter noise are common in neons. dont always assume its rod knock.

1,695

P0340 is an "out of range" code, from what I remember. I had it pop up twice on my car, even after replacing the cam sensor with a new one. The sensor should be replaced with a dealer part, not an aftermarket one like I tried the first two times. The aftermarket sensors that I installed let the engine run, but the computer thought the camshaft was out of sync.

130

Matt....how difficult is it to replace a cam sensor? I have a 1996 neon with the standard 2.0 SOHC motor. thanks

1,695

On my '03 the sensor is bolted to the cylinder head at the back side of the camshaft with four bolts and is not difficult to change. Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember reading something about the magnets for the sensors on the camshaft shifting and causing this code, but I'd lean more towards the sensor if the car seems to be running right.

Hey I have 03 neon as well and it won't go into any gear at all when started. Clutch is very loose when pressed down. All fluids are high. No have you ever had this problem if so what could it be