No crank, no start, no codes - Chevy Venture

20

Asked by Jan 28, 2015 at 03:50 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Venture Base

Thank you for your time. I have a 2000 Chevy Venture that has a no crank, no start
situation. I had the starter and the battery tested and they are both ok. I am not getting
12v to the starter. I do get 12v to the 30 pin and 12 v to the 85 pin on the starter relay.
I tested the relay and it is good. I put power to it and checked for resistance. The
ignition switch seem to be working properly and I checked the fuses to make sure they
are all good. I put an OBD II scanner on it and got no codes (of course the battery had
been disconnected to have it tested so I don't know if that cleared them). I also made
sure that the passkey system was working and I'm using two different keys to be sure
the key hasn't gone bad. The fuel pump whirrs when I turn the key and I get lights on
the dashboard. Prior to the no crank, no start, I did have my dashboard go all wonky
while on the highway, but then it stopped and returned to normal. This was weeks
before the no crank, no start. Please advise.

41,895

Does your car have anti-theft installed?

52,705

Possibly a battery cable or wire terminal corrosion issue. Take a very close look at the battery cables and the grounds.

41,895

There should be a wire harness that runs under the drivers seat. Apparently, it gets all corroded from water and causes no start issues.

20

It does not have anti-theft as far as I can tell. I bought it used. I did replace the battery posts and cleaned the cables, but i will check the grounds and cables again. I also did check the wiring harness under the drivers seat and it does not appear to be corroded. Could a crankshaft position sensor cause this problem?

41,895

If everything seems to be good that you have tested, I would try a new ignition control module. I think they're around $80.

52,705

Also check where the battery cable goes to the starter solenoid. Sometimes on other Chevy vehicles, the connections corrode and cause power distribution problems.

40

Some times I have power on the dashboard n other times I don't

41,895

John, have you played around with the dash dimmer switch to see if there's a short?

I have a problem I have power to my alternator when fuse burn out whennew fuse gets put back in no power to my alternator

41,895

454545, you have a shorted or pinched wire. Check the harness very carefully between the alternator and the battery. If you've had any work done to it lately, check the area where the work was done. Keep us posted with what you find.

120

I need help my 2000 venture wont start.an the dash board it's says security

10

i have tured the head lights on they work and dash board lights do work all i get is a clicking sound when i first turn the key but nothing else all my wires look to be in good shape

41,895

Bear1192, It should be one of 3 things. An old battery with very low voltage, a bad starter, of faulty alternator. If you don't own a volt meter, just try a jump start. If she turns over and starts, I would suspect it's the battery. If it's over 5 years old, that's a good place to start. If your battery is new, locate your starter motor, have someone turn the key all the way to the start position and hold it there, as they hold the key, rap on the starter motor with a hammer. If the car suddenly turns over, you have a bad starter. Post back with results. If you do have a volt meter, test the battery with the engine off. If below 12 volts, replace battery. If you get the car to run with a jump, hit the gas and bring up your RPM's. If the headlights get brighter, that should be a good indication that your alternator is working. Again, that's just a quick test you can do if you don't own a volt meter.

20

I have an 03 Chevy Venture Minivan I replace the battery and the alternator and still have no power no ding when I put the key in no lights what could be the problem

Anthony did u find the problem

41,895

Anthony, the first thing I would do is check the fuses and relays. If okay, I would suspect an ignition issue. When you say "no lights", do you mean dash lights or headlights or both?

10

I have 2003chevy venture i changed both crank sensors and car still not starting what should i do next

41,895

Ducato_838, I assume it's cranking over forever and not firing? If so, you may have a bad fuel pump or relay. If you remove fuel cap and place ear to the hole, can you hear the pump hum when someone turns the key to accessory? You can also try putting the tip of a large screw driver to the bottom of the tank and then press your ear against the handle. That's another good way to see if you can hear the fuel pump.

Hello I'm new to this I have a 03 Chevy Venture I had a few things changed on it already sometimes it starts up and then it'll be awhile before it starts up again what do you think it could be

41,895

GuruMZP9- Sounds like you have a part that fails when hot. Is the check engine light on? If so, have you had the error codes read yet? What are the things that have been changed out so far? Did you change these parts because of the no start issue when hot?

When you disconnect the power to work on your car and the car will not start afterwards, you have to pull out the fuse called ign. (nr 1, one of the big fuses. The fusebox that is located above your battery. When you put it in again it will reset, and you can directly start.

10

I also have a similar problem with my 2000 Chevy Venture...my engine won't start, there's a slight click and then a sort of light swoosh sound and then the red battery light will show...and then the yellow security light ...and then back to the red battery light and then the yellow security light again...over and over. Is this a security system I can reset with the 10 minute or 30 minute trick to get the security light to go out, then wait 20 seconds in off position, pull the key out and then attempt to restart the engine? There is also this message..."CAL ERR"...sometimes coming up on the screen of my car radio screen. Can anyone help?

I have a 2002 chevy venture. It Sat for several years. I replaced the battery, it was dead. Then my shifter cable broke. Rigged it to run. Now the steering column is locked. Key will not turn. Tried to turn steering wheel left and right while trying to turn key. No luck

Here is the problem everyone. If your cig lighter fuse both sides don't have power, no crank at all, engine light doesn't turn on, gas gauge not working. Then look at the pcm wiring. Driver side front underneath the coolant bottle. then remove the ecm and open up the wiring harness, you will see an orange wire possible broken. Looking carefully there might be a few more wires that are about the break also. Fix the broken wire on the orange wire and i guarantee everything will work.