No crank, no start, no codes - Chevy Venture

Pangur Bán

Asked by Jan 28, 2015 at 03:50 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Venture Base

Thank you for your time. I have a 2000 Chevy Venture that has a no crank, no start
situation. I had the starter and the battery tested and they are both ok. I am not getting
12v to the starter. I do get 12v to the 30 pin and 12 v to the 85 pin on the starter relay.
I tested the relay and it is good. I put power to it and checked for resistance. The
ignition switch seem to be working properly and I checked the fuses to make sure they
are all good. I put an OBD II scanner on it and got no codes (of course the battery had
been disconnected to have it tested so I don't know if that cleared them). I also made
sure that the passkey system was working and I'm using two different keys to be sure
the key hasn't gone bad. The fuel pump whirrs when I turn the key and I get lights on
the dashboard. Prior to the no crank, no start, I did have my dashboard go all wonky
while on the highway, but then it stopped and returned to normal. This was weeks
before the no crank, no start. Please advise.

Does your car have anti-theft installed?

Bob Beaman

Possibly a battery cable or wire terminal corrosion issue. Take a very close look at the battery cables and the grounds.

There should be a wire harness that runs under the drivers seat. Apparently, it gets all corroded from water and causes no start issues.

Pangur Bán

It does not have anti-theft as far as I can tell. I bought it used. I did replace the battery posts and cleaned the cables, but i will check the grounds and cables again. I also did check the wiring harness under the drivers seat and it does not appear to be corroded. Could a crankshaft position sensor cause this problem?

If everything seems to be good that you have tested, I would try a new ignition control module. I think they're around $80.

Bob Beaman

Also check where the battery cable goes to the starter solenoid. Sometimes on other Chevy vehicles, the connections corrode and cause power distribution problems.

Some times I have power on the dashboard n other times I don't

John, have you played around with the dash dimmer switch to see if there's a short?

I have a problem I have power to my alternator when fuse burn out whennew fuse gets put back in no power to my alternator

454545, you have a shorted or pinched wire. Check the harness very carefully between the alternator and the battery. If you've had any work done to it lately, check the area where the work was done. Keep us posted with what you find.

I need help my 2000 venture wont the dash board it's says security