Underhood Fuse box & connections

Asked by Mar 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Venture LT Entertainer

Good morning CarGurus, I need to replace my underhood fuse box and 1 of its relays because the fuse box's floor
and the relay has melted. I was able to purchase both the fuse box and the relays. The problem is it does not
come with the wires that are supposed to be connected through the bottom part of the fuse box's floor. I really think
that I need to relace the wires and the connectors but I do not know what to buy. What do I need to buy to connect
the wires to the bottom of the fuse box? Where can I buy it?

So you have a plastic box with no wires? If there has been a lot of amps through the connectors, they should be replaced too. The high amps cause heat. The heat makes metal expand. The loose connection makes more heat. The cycle continues until the fuse box floor melts or the circuit goes open. -- The connector is held in place with a small metal tab. You have to slip something in from the top to push the tab back in and release the connector. Take a couple close up digital pictures before you start so you know what wires go where. -- You can get new connectors in bulk. Try a place like Radio Shack and eBay for much better prices than from the car dealer. The wires should be good and you can use shrink tubing to cover/repair any damaged insulation.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Engine wiring harness fix your woes?...man I had to do one of these on a '71 Volvo 240 (the defective wiring fire-bomb) and this was quite the task, every single electrical component, tho the loom was supposed to be sized correctly was a difficult job...so if the wires are compromized due to melted plastic on them, select appropriate solder mends, use shrinkwrap over your solder joints and simply mend the offended part. Why don't they make these electrical panels out of bakelite any more? select wires of the correct color, or use yellow and tag the mended end with "striped blue and white" or whichever color you chose to mend. Buyin' a complete harness is just stupid, but you could take the correct wire colors from it...but hey, it's covered, under the engine, not on display...like superhero bandages...does not matter.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Yes Tenspeed, just the box, no wires, no connectors. So I need to buy two items? The connectors and the "small metal tab"? What do I have to type on the search box on eBay to see what I need? Are these generic items that will fit all car make and models? Thanks also judge_roy_beans for the tips!

I could find you a bakelite box. Do you have a picture of "el charro"?

Thanks for the offer judge_roy_beans, unfortunately I already bought a fusebox. On second thought, is it cheap?

Try "female terminal quick" in the eBay search box. Sort the results by "Price + shipping: lowest first". That will give you an example of the type of connectors I was describing. Not every connector will need replacing. You can see which ones are weak. The weak ones caused the heat and melting.

Superb Tenspeed! Ehhhhhhh, I will take a look at my connectors first to see what I need as I got a lot of different connectors from eBay. Thanks again to you both!

Whoopie!~ it's a beautiful day!

There are some connectors that have the wire exiting out the side too. Just making you aware that the dealer is not the best place to go for parts. Electrical supply houses that contractors use might be able to get those connectors that snap into your fuse box. Appliance parts stores might have them too. It's an odd repair and you have to be resourceful in your parts gathering.

Oh yes Tenspeed I've seen what you're saying. If I don't find an exact match will anything that will "fit" or "snap in" work? Of course mindful that the connectors are tight.