My speedometer stopped working. Everything else works like the tac..But my mileage per gallon or anything that requires to know the speed. I replaced both intake and outtake sensors. Any ideas?

Asked by Jun 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM about the 1996 Chrysler LHS 4 Dr STD Sedan

Wonder if there is a fuse somewhere
for just the speedometer? This is a
taxi so when the speedometer quit,
the meter also will light up but not
track miles

965

it's been my experience that 9 times out of 10 it's just a case of needing to replace the stepper motor for the speedometer. DON"T send it back through the dealer as that will cost you about 300.00. Instead, see if you can find an electronics repair shop around the area that does remote starts, sound systems, alarm systems. ect. but also repairs general electronics.. and see if they can take care of it. At our shop we generally charge customers and local car dealers about 45 to 50 bucks for that kind of work.

Thanks reverend1735. Had a mechanic work on the car so I had him show me what he did and traced his movements to a wire he pinched....whew. problem solved :-D

965

good im glad that it was just something simple. not that stepper motors are hard but not as easy as tracing movements of a mechanic. glad you were able to figure it out quickly :-)

EXACTLY What wire was shorted to stop the speedometer?