how to fix a egr valve

5

Asked by Feb 17, 2011 at 05:07 PM about the 1998 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr LXi Coupe

where do i locate the egr valve and how do i take out and install a new one? is it an expensive part?

975

I just replaced mine in a 99 sebring jxi with a 2.5l . The code at autozone pointed me in this direction. Unfortunately after I changed the part for $65. The light still didn't go out. I have not had a chance to fool with it in the last couple days but will update you when I find the root cause. If your facing your motor from the drivers side headlight, you should see a silver tube with a corragated shroud around it connected to the intake manifold near the firewall that runs forward and down a bit near the radiator fill. the other end of this tube is connected to the egr valve, which is also connected to the crankcase. You will also see some black tubes coming out of the egr going around the front of the motor to the sensor which is included from your autozone purchase. I found completely removing the silver tube and disconnecting the front antifreeze line from the radiator fill the easiest way to access the egr bolts. When reassembling I loosely bolted the silver tube to the egr valve before I attached it to the crankcase, so that the bolts were started but the tube was still adjustable to properly align it to the intake manifold. I also bought a can of brake kleen to spray out the inside of the silver tube . It had a lot of oil and carbon build up inside it and was also on the diagnostic list of possible things for repair.

975

As my Sebring is my 3rd vehicle I don't drive it everyday. So last night when I got in it to further investigate why the light didn't go out , to my surprise it was out. So.... I have read on some of the forums that sometimes it will take a few cycles of the system to reset the light upon fixing the matter. So as for now the problem seemed to be the egr valve and/or the dirty tube from intake manifold to egr diaphragm. I will update if light comes back on.

My Sebring is a 2 door coupe. The egr valve is at the back of the intake manifold near the firewall. There is also a metal tube that comes from the exhaust manifold and attaches to the intake manifold at the rear. From there the exhaust is routed through the rear of the intake manifold to the egr valve. Hope this helps.