How can I get my 2008 Sebring Convertible trunk to close after the top has been put up?

100

Asked by Jul 08, 2013 at 11:41 PM about the 2008 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible

We were putting the top up on our 2008 Sebring Convertible.  The car was in park and I
put it in gear in the middle of the top going up.  THe top went all the way up, but the trunk
and the cover that goes over the top when down will not go back into place.  The cover is
now pushing against the window instead of going back into the trunk and the trunk is
stuck opened.

100

My mechanic is disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. What if that doesn't work? He didn't see to sure that it would work...

9,305

the dealer can use the starscan scanner to close the truck. Ive had to do this before.

60

What ever happened with your convertible top? Did you need to replace any parts?

150

I am having the same problem. The top will go up and down, however the trunk lid will not close after it does. What did anyone do to solve the problem? Naturaly, the dealer wants me to spend 1,200 dollars to replace the cover table motor.

70

Hey Adam did you ever get that top fixed?

70

Or Glenda how about you,did you ever find out how to fix you convertible top?

30

Go to the each side there is a locking pin. You will find it by wiggling the trunk it is the only area holding the trunk. You must pull both pins to unlock . Takes some wiggle. Then the trunk should alow you to open the normal way. You must push the pins back up so it re locks or it won't close. I currently don't have pictures but it's simply a locking pin on both sides.

70

If i send you a picture could u tell me. Like the truck is closing but the top wont latch on...like it went dead or something

30

Did anyone figure this out ? I refilled my 2008 sebring hydraulic fluid now the trunk on both sides where it is connected to the car won’t latch. I can pull the trunk up it’s not attached what happened . It worked before. All I can think of is when we released the value on the hydraulic pump something happened , we done that because the trunk was stuck open before we refilled the hydraulic fluid .....

Did you ever get it fix?

My daugther has a 2008 sebring convertible and had this problem. Drove it to dealer with rear hatch open. Dealer quated an estimate of $3000 to fix. We couldn't afford, and wouldn't pay that price to the dealer so we drove car back to my storage with hatch still open. Dealer did remove hatch panel so top would not get damaged. After looking up what infomation I could find I figured my repairing it to be a lost cause as this top is computer controled and there are numerous micro switchs, and without scan tool and reprograming computor there was nothing I could do. The best I could do was try to get hatch closed with trunk working but not have top working. I reinstalled panel dealer removed. I was going to bleed out hydrulic pump to close hatch but I did not want panel to damage top when hatch closed. I found panel had a 12v motor with cable to retrack and extend panel. There are two switches one for retract and one for extend. Panel was stuck in the middle of of its operation. I disconnected the harness located by hydrulic pump in spare tire area. I traced down the wires for the 12v motor. This motor works like a window motor and is controled by reversing polarity of Hot and Neg wires. I retracked the panel all the way to the switch using a battery charger. I reconnected harness then checked top fuction from inside vehicle with key on and to my surprise the malfunction light was off Note; I had the neg disconnected from the battery and reconnected it prior to trying top. Although malfunction light was out top still did not work. I remembered I released trunk latch to gain access to rear compartment I relocked trunk lid when tried top again and everything is working fine now. I didn't need to reprogram computor or bleed hydrulic system. Thanks for nothing dealer!!!

10

Roland, would you be willing to post some pictures showing how you did this? My trunk is having this issue.

Today is the 1st time it happened to me! Removed item from under 'top area guards' and got it to close. Retried operation n happened again. I remembered yesterday I closed the trunk hood using only one hand (which is usually nearly impossible for me due to weight of it) so I opened and reclosed trunk hood using two hands. Top operated normally twice so I'm hoping that was the issue. Please give a try and let me know if it works for you.