I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring. It is running fine while idle, but starts to run hot when I drive it. As long as it is idle, the temp gauge does not move. But when I drive it for about 5 minutes, it runs hot.

Asked by Feb 07, 2017 at 09:39 AM about the 2004 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible

81,785

This should be looked at ASAP. May be the thermostat needs replacing. Do not let it get hot, or you will have a lot more problems.

Luckily I have another car I can drive so I let the Sebring sit in the garage. I crank it about 10 minutes everyday. I've had the thermostat replaced before and had the water pump replaced. Could the thermostat have gone bad again?

81,785

Yes it could. seems like a lot of things are not as good as they use to be. Another thing is to make sure the fans are turning on when she runs at operating temp.

How can I tell if the fans are turning? (I'm a single mother with no knowledge of cars)

81,785

You lift the hood and have the engine warmed up, the fans are at the front of the engine compartment attached to the radiator. Just let it idle, the fans should come on and shut off at some point.

Thank you.

81,785

Your welcome, have this all checked at a trusted garage.

After doing more research on-line, I checked the oil last night and it was a milky brown texture. It appears the antifreeze is getting into the oil. Does this mean I have a blown gasket?

81,785

It might, but it could be normal condensation caused by the breather system, pcv valve, breather element may need replacing for proper crankcase ventilation. If it were a head gasket, you would be loosing coolant, and white smoke coming out the exhaust, and possibly the oil level in the engine would be rising.

Thank you. It's not loosing coolant, but I have noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

81,785

If it is not loosing any coolant that you can tell, then the white smoke is just the warm-up of the engine which causes condensation to come out the exhaust. If it were coolant burning out the exhaust it would have a sweet smell to it.