i've changed the radiator ,thermastat and now my engine is still running hot is it my water pump or could it be something else i have 148000 on engine...???

Asked by Aug 29, 2007 at 11:09 AM about the 1996 Cadillac DeVille Concours Sedan FWD

my hoses swell up at the entrance point of the water pump and the thermastat and my car reaches 255 and say engine protection turn engine off....and my lights come on.....

Hi nez, Even if you don't hear any noises (probably bearings about to go) or have water leaking from the water pump it could still be having trouble keeping up with cooling the engine. There aren't too many additional components left in the cooling system of the vehicle. However, you could have blockage in the coolant ports of the block. This doesn't happen too often, but it can happen. I would stick to replacing the water pump. Anything more should be diagnosed by your trusted mechanic. Good luck!

hey i have worked on cadillacs for 10 years and have ran into this many times if your also has a slight miss on cold start up and is found to be in cyl 1 and then clearsup after engine gets hot more than likely you headgasket is starting to give also check the valley of your engine under the intake where your starter is visible with a flash light just under pwr str pump you may see oil this is an indication of your headbolts loosening up on their own or pulling out from head another indication of headgasket faliure during head gasket replacement head bolt threads should be drilled old and set with time serts contact any cadillac dealer and they will know what you are talking about also this is a costly repair possibly up towards $3000 or more

Yeah, that happened with my DeVille too. It wouldn't be the water pump, I had that replaced along with a new radiator. It may be a crack in your head gasket. Maybe there's a bump in your hose, just squeeze the hose to get the water running and see where that gets you. If it's a head gasket, then it's something else. Best of luck to you though.

that car prob. has a 4100 engine ,if so you need to have a pressure test ran on the cooling system and a compression test on the cylinders.the reason for this is that engine is aluminum,and if overheated the heads will warp,crack,or if your lucky just the head gasket will be blown.this will also check your waterpump for laeks.if it passes both those tests,tan your radiator could be clogged. good luck

If the AC isn't fully charged the fans turn off and the engine overheats.

The tube that runs across the top of the engine was blocked at the thermostat end. I took it off and ran a wire into the thermostat housing and that was the end of my problems. I went through many gallons of antifreeze before I figured it out.

Believe it or not. The coolant hug. Yes, where you put the coolant. It has a feed out and one in. If this goes bad... You will go through the process of replacing everything else. Check out the videos on YouTube. The part is like $40 online and will save you a lot of problems and money

Coolant hug... Not hug.. Lol

It could just be your radiator cap, if you've had your radiator replaced as well as the thermostat. Also run the car with radiator cap off and look to see if your water is swirling, if not I would bet it's your water pump.

If your 2002 Cadillac runs hot and says shut engine off even on a short distance drive but there's no steam or loss of fluids. I've replaced two thermostats, water pump, compression test done. But it still runs hot and the gauge goes up fast. It also will run hot when it's cold outside when you start it up

I have a 2006 STS Cadillac I replace the radiator and thermostat and the water pump but coming from the radiator hose at the bottom I don't feel no water going into the engine what could be the problem and it's still running hot

I replace the thermostat water pump and radiator and it still running hot

tighten the tension on the water pump and the alternator and the car ran hot what can't be the problem a 1984 Cadillac Biarritz Eldorado

My 94 deville says it's running hot to stop and shut off engine but it's not sometimes it will say this right when I start the engine I think it's in the computer idk

It's the sensor in your coolant reservoir, and it off and pour some dawn dish detergent and water in it, block all the holes up and shake it until you hear a taping sound, now your sensor is unstuck, that what makes the CPU says it's running hot, problem solved

Take it off