My cadillac gets hot and my car says that the engine is overheating. I put coolant in it everyday and it throws out all of the coolant in the coolant reservoir. Is it the thermostat or the water pump?

Asked by Sep 01, 2012 at 11:23 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille Base

My car gets hot every time I drive it. I have to put coolant everyday sometimes twice a day. I think it may be the thermostat or the water pump, but I'm not for sure. All I know that it gets hot and throws out all of the coolant in the coolant reservoir. I just want to know what's going on before I have to get it fixed. How much I'm going to spend.

217,765

Do you have any other leaks besides the overflow tank?

59,175

These cars are notorious for blowing head gaskets. To do the head gaskets correctly you're looking at about $3500.

460

if there is no leaks its def the head gasket puts compression into the coolant system causes it to blow out best bet replace engine find a certified used one to save money or buy a new one for what it would cost to fix the one u have i replaced the headgaskets in my 99 eldorado replaceing them was the easy part the problem is once they over heat the threads in the block for the heads pull an have to be drilled and replaced with helicoils that is a major pain and most of the cost

70

Wish I'de seen your post 2 years ago. I had the same prob with my 04 DeVille. Changed out the thermostat twice. I'm told is a flaky part that will go bad again and again. Eventually after all that nonsense my radiator blew up then shortly thereafter the water pump. And now were back to square one with the 'over heating' issue.

140

I changed my relays to the fans on my 1999 Cadillac Seville stops over heating

20

I'm having the same problem with my 1999 seville.. i have replaced y thermostat 3 time even use a felsaft one also still not not work

40

I replaced the radiator already and it still gets hot

40

There is no other leaks

90

Replace coolant tank and there is a screw at the end of the purge line at the end of the block replace it or clean it out and that fix mine and I'm happy she"s rimmimg like new!! Had about ten different mechanics tell me it needed head job that the heads were no good yeah right !!

80

Brian what year is your Cadillac deville I have a 01just put brand new radiator and hose and it's still overheating it ran great for two days with no issues until today and put a new cap on as well we are stumped

80

Fans work no problems with them and my heater core is not leaking

30

I have the same problem, change water pump, clean the coolant resovior and thermostat,

130

Anyone's cadillac still over heating?

150

I have a 2002 dhs. I replaced the thermostat, radiator and water pump. It still overheats. No leaks. Anyone have any suggestions?

260

I have a 2001 cadi deville ..im having a overheating issue ...car says check coolant it wont hold any coolant if i drive 10 mikes it overheats and makes bubbling noise...head gaskets..waterpump. or thermostat

260

Or radiator

80

I sold mine it was head gaskets

130

My cadillac is over heating and I put in a new thermostat and its still acting up

130

I have a 2001 Cadillac deville

130

Anyone with a 1999 cadillac seville sts over heating problem, I can probably help you txt 928 300 5732

10

I just got a 99 sts with overheating issues...

Try changing coolant reservoirp

10

Same problem, 99 Deville, mechanic took out the thermostat, and put in some head sealer, now it's ten times worse, use to be able to go 15 miles before losing water, now it overheats in two miles. He did some test and found hydrocarbons in the resevoir, now after the treatment, he says probably a warped head. Worse mistake I ever made buying a used Cadillac, they are junk.

10

I have a 97 Eldorado. I replaced radiator, hoses, temp sensor, temp sending unit, and fan relays. Still over heated. Took it to dealer and they said it was my head gaskets. 500-3000 dollar repair depending if gaskets were done for. Replacing engine now. Any ideas on how to prevent it from doing it again? Help really appreciated.

59,175

Unless you replace the engine with a freshly rebuilt crate motor, it will happen again. In fact if you're getting a used engine it may also have a blown head gasket. Northstar engines are notorious for blowing head gaskets. They all do it. It's not a question of "if" it will happen it's a question of "when". Sooner or later they all blow! HTH. -Jim

10

Thank you

59,175

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

120

LISTEN TO ME. I LOOKED IT UP ON YOUTUBE. IT REALLY WAS THE PROBLEM. REPLACED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING. MECHANICS TOLD ME TO GET RID OF THE CAR. I REPLACED THE COOLANT FILL TANK. THE BIG BLACK ONE. PROVLEM SOLVED. EVERYONE THAT HAS DONE THIS HAD THEIR CADDYS OVERHEATING PROBLEM FIXED. THE PART IS UNDER FOURTY DOLLARS ONLINE AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME, MONEY, AND STRESS.

20

Donald I will try what you say replace my tank mt 03 deville chech cooliant light alwsys on but I hv cooliant in there my temp level goes 1 pass halfway then goes bak down I hope it's. My tank I've. Changed everything else except. That .

20

Check cooliant message is on my tank looks bad to me will a new tank fix that. Is the senor bad will that cause issue bad tank

20

I got a 2000 Cadillac DeVille that overheats could it be my thermostat or head gasket

59,175

Head gasket. Especially if it's a Northstar! HTH. -Jim

20

I got a 2000 Cadillac DeVille and it over heats and it still run good no missing out in the engine can somebody please help me it just overheats when I drive it no white smoke

59,175

Check for exhaust gases in the cooling system. NAPA sells a chemical for that. But, again, if you have a Northstar it's 99% going to be the head gasket. HTH. -Jim