My cadillac gets hot and my car says that the engine is overheating. I put coolant in it everyday and it throws out all of the coolant in the coolant reservoir. Is it the thermostat or the water pump?

Asked by Sep 01, 2012 at 11:23 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille Base

My car gets hot every time I drive it. I have to put coolant everyday sometimes twice a day. I think it may be the thermostat or the water pump, but I'm not for sure. All I know that it gets hot and throws out all of the coolant in the coolant reservoir. I just want to know what's going on before I have to get it fixed. How much I'm going to spend.

242,115

Do you have any other leaks besides the overflow tank?

67,445

These cars are notorious for blowing head gaskets. To do the head gaskets correctly you're looking at about $3500.

530

if there is no leaks its def the head gasket puts compression into the coolant system causes it to blow out best bet replace engine find a certified used one to save money or buy a new one for what it would cost to fix the one u have i replaced the headgaskets in my 99 eldorado replaceing them was the easy part the problem is once they over heat the threads in the block for the heads pull an have to be drilled and replaced with helicoils that is a major pain and most of the cost

110

Wish I'de seen your post 2 years ago. I had the same prob with my 04 DeVille. Changed out the thermostat twice. I'm told is a flaky part that will go bad again and again. Eventually after all that nonsense my radiator blew up then shortly thereafter the water pump. And now were back to square one with the 'over heating' issue.

190

I changed my relays to the fans on my 1999 Cadillac Seville stops over heating

40

I'm having the same problem with my 1999 seville.. i have replaced y thermostat 3 time even use a felsaft one also still not not work

110

I replaced the radiator already and it still gets hot

110

There is no other leaks

130

Replace coolant tank and there is a screw at the end of the purge line at the end of the block replace it or clean it out and that fix mine and I'm happy she"s rimmimg like new!! Had about ten different mechanics tell me it needed head job that the heads were no good yeah right !!

250

Brian what year is your Cadillac deville I have a 01just put brand new radiator and hose and it's still overheating it ran great for two days with no issues until today and put a new cap on as well we are stumped

250

Fans work no problems with them and my heater core is not leaking

60

I have the same problem, change water pump, clean the coolant resovior and thermostat,

250

Anyone's cadillac still over heating?

310

I have a 2002 dhs. I replaced the thermostat, radiator and water pump. It still overheats. No leaks. Anyone have any suggestions?

450

I have a 2001 cadi deville ..im having a overheating issue ...car says check coolant it wont hold any coolant if i drive 10 mikes it overheats and makes bubbling noise...head gaskets..waterpump. or thermostat

450

Or radiator

250

I sold mine it was head gaskets

220

My cadillac is over heating and I put in a new thermostat and its still acting up

220

I have a 2001 Cadillac deville

250

Anyone with a 1999 cadillac seville sts over heating problem, I can probably help you txt 928 300 5732

30

I just got a 99 sts with overheating issues...

20

Try changing coolant reservoirp

10

Same problem, 99 Deville, mechanic took out the thermostat, and put in some head sealer, now it's ten times worse, use to be able to go 15 miles before losing water, now it overheats in two miles. He did some test and found hydrocarbons in the resevoir, now after the treatment, he says probably a warped head. Worse mistake I ever made buying a used Cadillac, they are junk.

10

I have a 97 Eldorado. I replaced radiator, hoses, temp sensor, temp sending unit, and fan relays. Still over heated. Took it to dealer and they said it was my head gaskets. 500-3000 dollar repair depending if gaskets were done for. Replacing engine now. Any ideas on how to prevent it from doing it again? Help really appreciated.

67,445

Unless you replace the engine with a freshly rebuilt crate motor, it will happen again. In fact if you're getting a used engine it may also have a blown head gasket. Northstar engines are notorious for blowing head gaskets. They all do it. It's not a question of "if" it will happen it's a question of "when". Sooner or later they all blow! HTH. -Jim

10

Thank you

67,445

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

180

LISTEN TO ME. I LOOKED IT UP ON YOUTUBE. IT REALLY WAS THE PROBLEM. REPLACED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING. MECHANICS TOLD ME TO GET RID OF THE CAR. I REPLACED THE COOLANT FILL TANK. THE BIG BLACK ONE. PROVLEM SOLVED. EVERYONE THAT HAS DONE THIS HAD THEIR CADDYS OVERHEATING PROBLEM FIXED. THE PART IS UNDER FOURTY DOLLARS ONLINE AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME, MONEY, AND STRESS.

30

Donald I will try what you say replace my tank mt 03 deville chech cooliant light alwsys on but I hv cooliant in there my temp level goes 1 pass halfway then goes bak down I hope it's. My tank I've. Changed everything else except. That .

30

Check cooliant message is on my tank looks bad to me will a new tank fix that. Is the senor bad will that cause issue bad tank

60

I got a 2000 Cadillac DeVille that overheats could it be my thermostat or head gasket

67,445

Head gasket. Especially if it's a Northstar! HTH. -Jim

60

I got a 2000 Cadillac DeVille and it over heats and it still run good no missing out in the engine can somebody please help me it just overheats when I drive it no white smoke

67,445

Check for exhaust gases in the cooling system. NAPA sells a chemical for that. But, again, if you have a Northstar it's 99% going to be the head gasket. HTH. -Jim

40

After spending 8k on my 2001 DeVille and all of the above fixes we found it still overheating. Car idled fine but 3 miles on the road it would overheat again. Was nothing left but scratching our heads. Went thru four auto shops and many mechanics and finally one found the catalytic converters clogged. Heat had no where to go but backwards. Replaced and car is like new. Wish I'd known that when it began. Hope this helps.

67,445

Unfortunately, DeVilleCrazed, your car was not properly diagnosed. A clogged catalytic converter should have set a trouble code in the computer (PCM) and triggered the check engine or service engine soon light. A restricted exhaust system will also show a loss of power from the engine. The cooling system should have been pressure tested as well as checked for exhaust gases in the coolant. Northstar engines all blow head gaskets sooner or later. It sounds like your mechanic(s) jumped to that conclusion. I am very sorry to hear that you spent $8000 on this car before finding out it was the catalytic converter!! Personally I would have junked it before doing the head gaskets. To me it's not worth it on a 16 year old vehicle. -Jim

30

Its NEVER really the head gasket its its the bolts that holds the engine heads together - theyre notorious for that. BUT I was told by an honest mechanic that 9 times out of 10 you have to lift the engine up to replace them . Also make sure your catalytic converter isnt clogged that can cause the needle to rise to hot also.

67,445

City93942, you are correct in that the head bolts pull out of the block on these engines. However, the engine and transmission assemblies must both be removed from the bottom of the car to do the repairs. There's no other way. It's very labor intensive and on an older model not worth the expense. There is a "button kit" that needs to be installed as part of the repair. It's basically a set of beefed up Helicoils to repair the damaged head bolt holes in the block. In 2010 a friend had the job done, at a local garage. Not the dealer. On his '97 Eldorado. It cost him, then, $3500. Parts and labor. He knew what he was getting into before he bought the car for $500. It was a "project" car not his daily driver. He also had the money to spend. But for someone who's funds are limited and they're using the car as their primary transportation, it's just not worth it. -Jim

20

I have an 03 Cadillac deville . I changed the water pump, thermostat, radiator, dashboard, heating censor, fans, and engine won't overheat but in the dashboard the heating lines go up and down. It's driving me nutts

30

I checked out a YouTube video and the master mehincanic said the most common problem with overheating and the lost of coolant was the over flow tank so dont go with the so called head gaskets are blow

10

my 98 deville only over heats on highway - only 98K miles AC and everything else works great.. any thought?

67,445

Head gasket. HTH. -Jim

10

Js08016 ... was that meant for me? havabrain? sorry new here and I havent bought car yet

67,445

Oops, yes it was. Sorry for not clarifying that!! If it has a Northstar engine in it you don't want it!! Not at that mileage with an overheating issue!! It's 99% going to be the head gaskets. All Northstar engines blow head gaskets. The only way to do the repair is to remove the engine and transmission together from the bottom of the car. There's no other way! You'll be looking at upwards of $3500 to fix it. That's probably why the seller is selling it! Keep shopping! HTH. -Jim

10

Replace the reservoir. Dies your dash computer show check coolant and it's got plenty. Blew my mind . replaced mine now she's running cool. Try it you won't be disappointed.

I have 2001 DeVille have replaced radiator,hoses thermostat ,sensors ,water pump intake gasket coolant tank.purged system twice.no leaks,no water or steam from exhaust.even went to heavier grade of oil.still overheat in less than half mile.also checked for cracks in heads and block found none.pressure check twice.still overheat.fans work fine

67,445

Test for exhaust gases in the coolant. If you have a Northstar engine I bet it's a head gasket. All Northstar engines blow head gaskets. HTH. -Jim

Wouldn't pressure test detect a leak.there is none even when registering hot no leaks.check coolant level stay on even though it's full

67,445

Not always on a Northstar. HTH. -Jim