Afraid I got a lemon.

Asked by Dec 13, 2015 at 06:15 PM about the 2010 MINI Cooper Base Convertible

I bought a 2010 Mini Cooper convertible manual transmission in September this year. Since I bought it I've had to replace the oil filter housing and then the water pump. Now check engine light is on. I'm a single women and don't know much about this stuff. I checked maintenance records as much as I could before purchasing this car. I love it but I'm afraid I got a lemon. Or maybe my mechanic is messing with me

75,465

Water pump I can see, the oil filter housing I don't know how they go bad, so before having this place do anymore work, I would get a second opinion in matters that pop up on you. Now the check engine light should be checked out just by having the code or codes read with a scanner that most garages have. Auto Zone even does it for free. So far to me this is just maintenance since the car is like 6 years old. Things are bound to happen. But the check engine light is like giving a garage a ticket for a free ride. They (the shady ones, or non reputable ones) So when you get it checked out ask what is the problem and get a second opinion.

54,445

Mini Cooper is one of the most unreliable cars on the road today. They are cool little cars, but have more than their fair share of issues. Best of luck with it.

261,155

Bob is right, Mini's constantly need attention and parts replaced. That's why you see so many on the used car lots.

Thanks all. Auto Zone's device didn't work so I went to mechanic - his computer said "misfiires". He found (i saw it too) oil in the coils. All were replaced, new head gasket, spark plugs, head. Check engine light went off, but car still idles rough. Known problem with 2010. I love the car, but probably can't afford to keep up with all the problems.

75,465

I read more on these cars since, good engine but thats about it. Nothing but a problem vehicle...

Finally the answer - positive crankcase ventilation. Not sure if I named it correctly, but the engine has to be pulled to seal all the leaks caused by oil getting into the system. Now I'm without a car for another week and several thousand dollars poorer. This was the worst car buying decision of my life.

54,445

I owned a Mini Cooper S 2006 model for a short time. My "clown car" caused no issues in the short 6 months I owned it. It was fun to drive and a real head turner. Traded it when I heard about all the high pressure fuel pump issues they were having. Shortly after trading it I received a letter that the high pressure fuel pumps were on an extended warranty program. Glad I got rid of it, but it WAS fun.