Why does my 2010 Chevy equip right head light keep burning out within 2 months

10

Asked by Jan 16, 2014 at 05:56 PM about the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD

perhaps you have an OVER-voltage condition going on....check the output of the alternator...should be 14-17 VDC not more~

10

How do I check that

15,335

To your question to Mr. Judge-Roy, if you have a voltage meter, put it on the headlamp wire and turn on the headlamps. It should read 12 volts or less. Check and make sure there is not a short in the wiring as this will cause a draw that may create a surge to the headlamp and blow it out. If you have an ammeter on the dash, it will show your poutput. I have an information station on my Buick that when I thumb through it, one of the stations shows the voltage output. There also may be a surge protector for the headlamps that is bad and not working. Unless you have an EE degree or have a good electronic/electrical back ground in your resume, go to a car electrical shop and let them check it out.

not the stud at the back of the alternator TO chassis ground? honestly California dude, do not see what could go wrong....okay a person could get a finger chopped off pretty easily....use a long screwdriver~ certification from IEEE not required~

15,335

How do you get a finger chopped off reading an ammeter inside the car on the dash? Cleaning electrical connections should be done with the car off. Do you agree? Pulling out the head lamps to use a volt meter is not dangerous if the car is in park with the parking break set and the ignition is off. No fingers to lose there. The length of a screw driver depends on the need and reach required. If you are tryi9ng to do a spark test, that may be fine and well as long as you don't chance on ruing the instrument your testing by shorting it out. If a person is not versed in the basic electrical workings, more damage could be done or incorrect diagnosis gained ]= /

good point.~

110

I have a 2010 Equinox with the same problem (probably), the right headlight goes out every couple of months, but the lamp is not burning out. If you open the hosing an pull on the wires, the light comes back on. I have not been able to make it go out by flexing the wires, so there is a problem in the wires somewhere where I cannot reach. It looks like you need to disassemble the entire front end to get to the headlamp assembly and access to the rest of the wires, but I have not gotten that ambitious yet...

15,335

Ground wire? Is the connection clean? Check that first.

110

Turned out to be the headlight connector - it was burned up - melted plastic and loose contacts. In this car to get access to that wire, you must remove the bumper (which is everything on the front-end under the hood), then you can un-bolt the headlight assembly and get just enough access to the wires under the cover to cut them and splice in a new connector. By the way, there is no "ground" connection - several wires into a connector that control the multiple lights within the headlamp assembly. Some of those wires are at ground potential, but they are not connected to a ground screw anywhere near the headlights. The ground may be the switched conductor in this car...

15,335

Thanks for your response and glad you got it fixed.

Are the 2008 chevrolet equinox headlights assembly the same as the 2008 chevrolet Tahoe

my right front light is off when I start my Equinox 2007. what I do is simple, I put the HIGH on for about 3-5 min. with my fog beam on.. after I'm driving for these 3-5 min. I put the fog light off and put back the light to normal and glitch is fix..