2010 xf jaguar no power. can't open trunk, how do you jump

Asked by Aug 07, 2014 at 09:18 AM about the 2010 Jaguar XF Premium

Join AAA and then call them for service 2 hours latter. Worked for me.

Michael Kane

From the Jag forum: Since then, the XF has had a few more miscues, the most problematic of which was a dead battery. Now, normally a dead battery isn't that big of a deal-you hook up jumper cables and you're on your way in no time. But with the XF, things never seem to be quite that simple. First of all, virtually everything in the car is electrically--rather than mechanically--controlled, from the glove box door to the trunk release to the transmission gear selector. That means that when the battery is stone dead, there's not enough juice to open the glove box so you can retrieve the owners manual. Or to pop the trunk, which is where the battery is located. Or to put the car into neutral to roll it into position for the battery to be jumped. There are, of course, procedures to deal with such situations. Even though the XF ignition is keyless, there is a key blade that pops out of the key fob in case of an emergency. Near the door handle and rear license plate are hidden panels that can be pried open and then operated with the key so that the door and the trunk can be unlocked. And near the gear selector, about two inches below the shifter, there's a small trim piece that pops off, underneath of which is a mechanism that will cause the rotating gear knob to pop up so that the car can be put into neutral. Unfortunately, those panels are so well camouflaged that, when production editor Jennifer Misaros, who was in possession of the car when it died, looked for a hidden keyhole to open the trunk, she wasn't able to locate it. And neither could the roadside-assistance guy. Eventually, roadside assistance was able to work around all the obstacles. Per Misaros: "I popped the hood and the roadside-assistance guy hooked up the portable jumpers to what looked like a fuse box. After twenty minutes of this, the car finally had enough juice to pop the trunk. Then the real fun started. Because the trunk is covered in carpet, there was nothing for him to use as a ground. He finally was able to rig something up so the car was getting some power. He left the jumpers hooked up for 20-30 minutes before I was able to start the car."

Holly jumping Jesus on a bicycle Batman!

This thread is dead but it came up on google when i typed in a similar problem. My issue wasn't the trunk not opening manually it was a completely dead battery on a locked vehicle with no key to get in. I lost the factory key and transponder awhile ago. I ordered 2 remotes on Ebay and had both reprogrammed to my vehicle. YES IT CAN BE DONE Dealers and most locksmiths will tell you it cannot. I am proof it can be done with the right Locksmith and computer know how. The transponders came with a blank key. The dealership wanted 250$ for a new key and i knew i could get into the car if i really needed to. So the adventure starts.  TO get in the vehicle i used an air pump wedge on the top of the driver door. After a few pumps the opening was enough to get my coat hanger in and unlock the vehicle. Awesome in the vehicle now i can get to the trunk and replace the battery. @#($* no manual release for the trunk in the cabin of the car, and no key to manually unlock the trunk. You may find yourself in this position. There is hope.  Now its time to have a friend with their car TURNED OFF to help you.Jump the car as one would normally do but instead of a battery  apply the positive to this bolt located on the passenger side foot panel. To reach this bolt take off the panel by first removing the "Jaguar" entry logo on the bottom of the door (brain fart forgot what its called) then you will pop out the panel to expose the fuse box itself. The bolt pictured below is hiding behind a plastic cover, Pull it back and put on the positive cable. I cut the connection much longer so i could connect the negative in the engine bay. make sure you don't put the negative on a metal bolt that has plastic under it. Use as much steel frame as you can. Once all this is connected your car should have power Remember there is no need to have the other car on feeding it more voltage as the good battery can transfer enough energy with the car off. Now Get to the trunk, press the button and you're in. Disconnect immediately. Remember negative posts are to be put on last and taken off last.   I did attempt to trickle electricity from a mobile charger to the fuse box but it kept clicking (which is normal on a completely dead vehicle) and couldn't get enough energy to pop the trunk. I also tried plugging in a positive lead to the fuse box itself with no reaction so the preferred method is the one above. I researched like hell for a couple days (i have another car and the time so why not) and couldn't find someone in my same exact predicament. Im sure it is bound to happen. I do need to do the window operation reset which is easy to find online, just google "reprogram windows Jaguar xf". I hope this helps some people out. 

You just have remember that this is for a left hand drive while mine was for a right hand drive which made it the drivers side. A great help and worked well