Why won't my key turn past the accessory mark in my 09 jetta

90

Asked by Aug 20, 2015 at 02:17 PM about the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE

My key goes in, will turn to accessory, but no further - it was getting hard to turn but now it will not turn at all

90

Also - I have tried to 'unlock' the steering wheel by turning it, but no success with ignition. I can't even start the car to take it to the dealership. Thank you in advance!

3,715

it wears out, try spraying lube in the ignition hole, just maybe your lucky

90

Thank you. It won't hurt it - WD40?

9,895

these cars have a bad habit of having the key cylinder breaking loose Only way to fix it is have the entire ignition unit replaced. Just had this done in my 2012 jetta. You probably won't be lucky and it wont be cover under warranty so expect a 600$+ bill from the dealership. Your best bet to getting the car started tho is try to get the key as straight as possible and maybe pull it back a little and make sure the steering lock bar does not get in your way by holding the wheel dead center of where the lock hits between. Your just going to have to get lucky on this one and make slow movements with it till it moves past the broken segment. your other option is to remove the ignition unit and cranking it over from the crank pin while your key dead locks the security. You could possible jump the starter with a piece of metal if you can get to power on position. I would jsut install a switch that jumps the starter temporarily tho its safer. Just use a house light switch and wireing:P

9,895

if you have a Manuel car you could just bump start it to

90

Thank you - it's actually my daughter's car and she's in college in a different city, so it makes it very hard. Thank you for the insight - and I hope the news is $600; we just spent $700 on replacing a sensor two months ago (thankfully, my cousin works for a dealership and was able to get me used part and a break on labor). This time, the car had to be towed so we couldn't take it to my cousin's dealership (it's about 100 miles away). Thank you, again.

9,895

yea i looked around a little and a new locking cylinder is about 178$ on rock auto and probley 300$ at the dealer. so at the dealership i would estimate 2 hrs work which would be around 200$ then they have to re-code the keys to the new ignition unit(bring all keys you have in with the car) which i think is a 65$ - 95$ charge. so with taxes your at close to 700$. if it were me i would do the work myself then jsut get them to recode the keys after words but you would still be around 400$ if you go with dealer parts. Any ways let me know how it goes any other issues i can help with in the future as well im usually on daily.

Best Answer
90

Thank you - hopefully the shop will call today with the diagnosis.