Why won't my key turn past the accessory mark in my 09 jetta

180

Asked by Aug 20, 2015 at 02:17 PM about the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE

My key goes in, will turn to accessory, but no further - it was getting hard to turn but now it will not turn at all

180

Also - I have tried to 'unlock' the steering wheel by turning it, but no success with ignition. I can't even start the car to take it to the dealership. Thank you in advance!

4,495

it wears out, try spraying lube in the ignition hole, just maybe your lucky

180

Thank you. It won't hurt it - WD40?

12,485

these cars have a bad habit of having the key cylinder breaking loose Only way to fix it is have the entire ignition unit replaced. Just had this done in my 2012 jetta. You probably won't be lucky and it wont be cover under warranty so expect a 600$+ bill from the dealership. Your best bet to getting the car started tho is try to get the key as straight as possible and maybe pull it back a little and make sure the steering lock bar does not get in your way by holding the wheel dead center of where the lock hits between. Your just going to have to get lucky on this one and make slow movements with it till it moves past the broken segment. your other option is to remove the ignition unit and cranking it over from the crank pin while your key dead locks the security. You could possible jump the starter with a piece of metal if you can get to power on position. I would jsut install a switch that jumps the starter temporarily tho its safer. Just use a house light switch and wireing:P

12,485

if you have a Manuel car you could just bump start it to

180

Thank you - it's actually my daughter's car and she's in college in a different city, so it makes it very hard. Thank you for the insight - and I hope the news is $600; we just spent $700 on replacing a sensor two months ago (thankfully, my cousin works for a dealership and was able to get me used part and a break on labor). This time, the car had to be towed so we couldn't take it to my cousin's dealership (it's about 100 miles away). Thank you, again.

12,485

yea i looked around a little and a new locking cylinder is about 178$ on rock auto and probley 300$ at the dealer. so at the dealership i would estimate 2 hrs work which would be around 200$ then they have to re-code the keys to the new ignition unit(bring all keys you have in with the car) which i think is a 65$ - 95$ charge. so with taxes your at close to 700$. if it were me i would do the work myself then jsut get them to recode the keys after words but you would still be around 400$ if you go with dealer parts. Any ways let me know how it goes any other issues i can help with in the future as well im usually on daily.

Best Answer Mark helpful
180

Thank you - hopefully the shop will call today with the diagnosis.

40

My car key want turn once I put it in ignition but will go out of gear

40

I have tried turning my key in the switch but I can't get it to turn over to start

12,485

if you key wont turn you need a new ignition boys it helps to read the answers before posting cheers.

30

Ok so we had a 2005 jetta come in with issue some are having key goes in turns a small amount but won't turn to start position ect there is a set pin for the steering wheel lock that wears out your options are replacing lock cylinder or there is a small pressed on cap that has a spring that causes the lock mechanism for the column lock to become stuck drilling this out and removing the pin and spring does not damage anything else and frees up the key so that it is at that point able to turn happened on my 01 jetta the customer opted for this solution over a new lock cylinder because of the cost of the part and then removing steering wheel and everything else required to remove the lock cylinder that is one solid assembly

I'm having a similar problem with my son's 2006 VW Rabbit. The key will turn just far enough to turn on accessories and temporarily unlock the steer, but no further. I've tried WD40, jiggling, tapping, etc.-- but still no movement. I'm curious about Chris' remedy of drilling out the "small pressed on cap". Chris: could you say more about this? Exactly where is the "pressed on cap" located and what does it look like?

12,485

I would recommend drilling anything off your car. The issue is after years of use the key cylinder gets weak and missaligned. Also if you are constantly parking with your wheel turned and let the car role onto the park position it puts the full weight of your car on the lock cylinder To get it to fully release try turning your wheel away from spot it is stuck on which should relase the lock properly. Replace the lock cylinder and it will fix the problem.

My 2013 jetta has had ignition switch problems for quite a while. Couldn't get the key out sometimes, and its locked so i couldn't turn my car off. Turns out, the other day i received a notice from VW extending my warranty to cover the failed ignition switch. Only certain models are covered so check it out before you pay to fix it. VW acknowledged a problem and are covering it in a warranty extension