2008 Honda Civic A/C Not Working

20

Asked by Jun 17, 2015 at 01:41 PM about the 2008 Honda Civic LX

My 2008 Honda Civic's a/c stopped blowing cold air last summer.  After using a cheap charging kit from AutoZone it started worked again.  Fast forward and it's now June 2015 and the a/c again isn't working.  I have it drained and recharged...no luck getting cold air.  Then had a new compressor installed...still not blowing cold air.  I took it to a Honda dealership and they spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what could be wrong.  They think the ECV value needs to be replaced and that the old compressor may have blown particles into the condenser but they won't know about that until they remove the ECV valve.  I've been driving with no a/c now for 2 weeks and all of a sudden the a/c has started blowing cold air but only sometimes.  Every morning it seems to be blowing cold air.  Around lunch it usually blows warm air but has occasionally blown cold air.  Is it still possible its the ECV value or could it be something else that's causing the problem?

40

Butterfly, sorry that you are another victim of ac problems with your 2008 civic. I think you might have misunderstood the dealer. The ECV pertains to Exhaust Control Valve (ECV ), obviously not related to the AC. This page will give a better understanding to your problem. I've encountered hundreds of us on the web. Which would believe me to think that thousands of us have had this problem. Here's the link. https://www.facebook.com/faultyhondacompressors. I would encourage you follow-up to file a complaint. Enough said. As to how to check. 1) before you replaced the compressor did the AC work sometimes? If yes, this could or couldn't apply, but did you notice the car run a little rough for a short time (like at a light when car is idling). If yes, then most likely your compressor went bad and deposited grinded metal contaminating the AC system. Which could be verified first by EVAC system, charge, and check pressure reading. Abnormal readings would indicate a clogged system. Opening a line and placing a clean cloth underneath would verify this. This what I suspect. I suspect this is your problem. Putting a new compressor into a contaminated system could have damaged the compressor. Good luck, hope your dealer can help you. Hope to see your comments on mentioned site. Bottom line is you have to find out this first. Good luck

10

I.. have a 2008 Honda Civic, the last couple months my ac was turning from cold air to hot air then back to cold, now when i start the car its cold and within 10 min its back to hot and doesnt turn cold again. I went to auto zone and bought AC Pro refrigerant, the employee came outside n checked my freone with the gauge on the can..he said i had too much freon. He sent me to a friend of his that would check my system for free for me. I went to them and they said I only had 3 oz of freon in it n that it was my compressor. Since i just got two different opinions i took it to another shop that my daughter knew the people. They did same thing other shop did with machine..checking for leaks putting freon in and recharging it..said no leaks and that it was low on freon and that it was working. I left and within 10 minutes it did the same thing. They said to bring it back and they would do a more extensive search at no charge since they charged me earlier. Now they say that I have an evaporation leak. Both the compressor and evaporation leak repairs are expensive. I would hate to fix one n it still not work and have to fix the other...dont know what to do!!!! How much is either job seperating parts n labor?

20

After replacing the compressor and the expansion valve with no luck, my mechanic tried replacing the receiver drier...and it worked! I have had cold a/c for over 2 weeks straight!

I'm having the same issue with my '08 Civic. Did you notice an almost moldy or musty smell when operating the air conditioner? I'm wondering if just replacing the receiver drier would be enough to fix the problem?

I have 2007 civic have the same problems any ideas how to get it fix ???