Mini Cooper S 2008 6 speed has the yellow check engine light on all the time - no on ca find the problem.

120

Asked by Dec 28, 2015 at 02:27 PM about the 2008 MINI Cooper S

My Mini Cooper 2008 has the yellow check engine light on - current mechanic
cannot figure out what is going on with the car. Any ideas?

28,025

what codes came up????if any???

72,315

Visit your local auto parts store and ask them to scan the computer. Post the trouble codes here and we can help further. Most stores will scan the computer for free. Also sounds like you need a new mechanic! Scanning the computer when the check engine light is on is "auto repair 101" ! HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
120

I don't know the code, but it is something called a super knock...when i picked up the car tonight after having the clutch replaced, I found out that they did scan it and the code means that it has a super knock...It hesitates and the check engine light comes on...they are having a hard time getting the light to stay off. My husband's care needs to go in the shop. So I picked up mine intending to bring it back to them since it has to pass inspection by end of January.

120

Maybe I should take it to a mini dealer instead...

72,315

It could be your knock sensor. The knock sensor is like a microphone that listens for spark-knock. If spark-knock occurs the knock sensor signals the computer to retard the ignition timing until the knocking stops. With a bad knock sensor the ignition timing may be severely retarded. This will cause lack of power, the engine to run hot, and possibly late transmission shifting. The dealer may be your best bet on this. Perhaps they've run into this problem before or maybe a service bulletin has been issued by Mini. Thank you for the best answer click as well!! HTH. -Jim

https://www.automd.com/tsb/mini_m/cooper-s_mm/2008_y/ -Latest 2008 Mini Cooper S Technical Service Bulletins

And if I may add, in addition to all the good information Jim mentioned, could damage your catalytic converter and that can get expensive.

120

Okay - so I called the repair place back and here are the codes that the car was offering: 1. 2D9C 2. 2D50 Its still hesitating. The check engine light comes on after about 10 minutes of dirving.

72,315

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with those trouble codes. Perhaps someone else can chime in here? -Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfAyti805 -MINI Cooper S - 2007 - 2011 High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure - And as for 2D50 Letter 'O' or number O I can't find anywhere, after looking at several sites, except one that refers to a "super knocking" which I don't know what that means

The regular fuel pump supplies about 40psi to the rail. Then there is a 'High pressure step-up pump' than increases fuel pressure to injectors, depending on when the fuel is released to overcome compression. I don't know how high it is is a MINI but some cars, such a an Audi get up in tho the 2500psi range. It's dangerous to work on, I have a friend that did not bleed the fuel pressure and a pin-hole of fuel from a leaking injector line, the fuel literally went through his hand, just like sticking a needle through.

And.. sorry Jim, all I had to do was pay attention and read your post

Another thing. I was looking around, there was another question yesterday and I went to the MINI scheduled maintenance and found out that MINI has change spark plugs at 40,000 miles. That seemed to be a short life-span for the spark plugs today, with iridium plugs lasting 100,000 and beyond. Come to discover, that like many Nissan cars.. the MINI has a 'waste spark'. It fires whenever a piston is at TDC no matter if it is on compression or exhaust stroke. The crankshaft and camshaft position sensors signal the computer to fire the plug at TDC every time. Why? good question. I wish I knew

120

Okay You guys are gonna have to dumb this down for me. I don't really understand much of what you are saying to me. I guess I am really looking for some advice. I think my current mechanic at Car Sense pretty much has none. I am thinking that the best thing to do is take my car to a Mini dealer or someone who specializes in Minis. Do you agree? If so is there a great repair shop relatively close to Doylestown PA that someone can recommend? You assistance is much appreciated. Elena

Yep, it will be more expensive, but to get the very best factory-trained mechanics the Dealer is the place to go. There are not all that MINI's on the road, and regular shops, even reputable ones, probably don't get a lot of MINI's, and to find a shop that specializes in them is going to be difficult. I can try, and at the risk of patting myself on the back I'm pretty good at that..... but the search goes by zip code. If I have you zip I will see what I can find. ..18901? MINI is British now owned by German BMW

120

zip 18902, but 18901 is very close 10 minutes away so yes that will work and your recommendations are much appreciated...also are all MINI dealers created equal or is there one that is better than another....Thanks!!!

Princeton MINI 3466 US-1 · (609) 651-4199 -- MINI of Allentown 4600 Crackersport Rd · (610) 821-2500 -- MINI of the Main Line 130 Montgomery Ave · (877) 799-5389 ... and I have no clue if one is better that the other. Hope I Helped. ~~David

120

Okay thanks...Everyone has been very helpful :-)

72,315

The MINI of the Main Line would be closest. There's a BMW of the Main Line that has an excellent reputation. The Main Line is a very exclusive part of the Philadelphia suburbs so I'm sure you'll get first class treatment there. HTH. -Jim

Hi Jim, and thanks for the support, on behalf of Elena and myself

72,315

Hi Fordnut. You're both welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

20

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S and the yellow engine light came on. No OBD II reader showed any codes.. so an independent shop hooked their computer to it and ran through all the modules and found some codes that had no warning lights showing up. so they must have been old.. the one that tied to the CEL.. was 2885 DME Boost Pressure deviation plausibility.. and thoughts on this would be soooo appreciated.