My Toyota Sienna LE 2008 has 3 lights come ON the dashboard : Check Engine, VSC, TRAC ON

340

Asked by Dec 14, 2013 at 09:01 AM about the 2008 Toyota Sienna LE 8 Passenger

My Toyota Sienna LE 2008 has demonstrated this problem 4 times now and after being fixed by the authorized service center thrice. It is back in the shop for the 4th time for the exact same reason.

The 3 lights come on the dashboard : Check Engine, VSC, TRAC ON

There is no problem with driving the car and all 3 times the part changed was some evaporative canister associated with the gas tank.

I think Toyota has no clue how to fix this for good. If the battery is disconnected and reconnected, the lights stay off for about a week 2 weeks and come back on. So my best guess is that there is a malfunction in the safety electronics which is causing this malfunction to reoccur over and over, sighting as if there is a real problem.

A great way to get me to the service center every few months..
- Samuel Benjamin
Reply to : sammybenjamn@gmail.com

270

My 2005 Sienna had the same lights on not to long ago. The problem was a bad wheel sensor. The sensor could be dirty if you want to pull it off and inspect it. Hope this helps.

30

This is not an answer but an inquiry about the same problem. I was wondering if sammybenjamin's problem was fixed because I have the same problem right now and the dealer first did carbon cleaning but that did not work and now is suggesting to change the vehicle's throttle which would set me back $1000. My car is like wise a 2008 sienna le.

340

TOYOTA SIENNA 2008 CARBON FILTER ISSUE: The Sienna 2008 Sienna has a inherent problem which the authorized dealers will not accept. In my case the Check Engine Light + Trac Off + VSC lights come on when the car is parked on a incline right after filling a full tank of gas. There is a fan that sucks in the vapors and allows the carbon filter to to reduce emission in to the air. However if the car is at an incline there is fuel where the filter fan sucks the vapors which instead pulls in the liquid into he carbon filter, thus destroying the ability of this system to work correctly. This triggers the sensors that all hell has broken loose and the 3 lights turn on. Replacing the carbon filter and emptying the suction lines usually fixes this problem. Toyota has fixed this problem 5 times and each time they tried to blame me for the problem when in fact it is a fault of their poor design. Finally they agreed with me that there is a problem and I decided to fill only 15 gallons in the tank instead of the full 18 gallons to allow always a small pocket of air at the top so no liquid gets sucked in by the emission filter fan. Hope you can resolve your problem soon. Truly & Regards, Sammy.

3,105

Obd 2 whTs up

50

sammybenjamin if you are still around can you answer if it goes away after a while if I don't take it in because I just got one 2 days ago and it was parked at an incline also and this morning all 3 lights came on

340

To temporarily get rid of the warning lights you can reset the battery by removing the red lead and then reconnect it. Then see if it will come back again after a few hours of driving. If it does, then the carbon filter is probably flooded with gasoline and you will have to get it replaced. There is absolutely no problem with the vehicle as this is a faulty Toyota design in the 2008 Sienna that is giving a false negative reading on the dashboard. It never happened on my 2005 and 2006 Sienna.

30

2005 sienna le. battery broke loose and nicked pos cabling. small fire ensued, but was quickly put out. had it checked by mechanic who taped the pos cable/wires (housing burned through and was source of spark) and put new battery harness thing on (other broke at when the bolt snapped). was fine till next night - driving and the VSC Trac check engine oil thing lights came on. is it still the battery having a poor connection? or is there more damage not seen by the mechanic or do i need to have the pos cable/wires replaced? Please answer quickly with answers which will not cost me my whole paycheck (all answers are welcome). I've been lucky- I have only spent $35-but i get the feeling they missed something!! I went to take a photo of the damage and noticed something leaked from underneath. Now what?

80

I had a this morning all three light on engine light, vsc & track on. last night very heavily rain was. I don't know what to done. This is second time happen. First time happen two years before and mechanic told me mileage service

80

And I spent like $1000. And issued was resolved.

30

has any one ever had the Eprom cleared ? This same problem happened with my 2010 Sienna in late 2013 it's now 2016 and has yet to come back on

I have the same problem--2008 Sienna, 115-k miles. The issue seems to be (according to the mechanic) a bad ignition coil (based on computer code) Could have stopped the vehicle cold in transit. Repair was $350.