I have a 2008 CHevy Equinox. is there a way a mechanic could have possibly disconnected the engine light to stop popping up? i think i got a crroked mechanic?

20

Asked by Feb 24, 2015 at 10:06 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD

The check engine light was coming on it showed up o2 sensors at advanced took it to the shop i am paying on it and they say the replaced the sensor. it came on again the claim it was a accidental vacumm leak the fixed it after 45 mins. within 3 days later again same propblems, the remote start will not work but the check engine light will not come on this time. before it would come on... .  now my check engine light does not even come on when I crank the car,  my remote start again stop working and they say at advanced these 2 codes are popping up. I relly feel like the mechanic disconnected the engine light somehow. when I try to turn the key just before cranking it all lights will come on then back off after cranking but the engine light wont come on I can see I quickly blink one time like it tries but it will not come on? these codes are what I see. p0650 indicator lamp-control circuit malfunction      and   p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1?   please help???

O2 sensors doing their job and reporting out of spec. Vacuum leaks are some of the hardest to track down and in my experience the last suspects. Don't throw that mechanic out, he/she is barking up the right trees. Have you had other symptoms such as bucking on the Equinox? 1st gens have a recall on the spark plug wires. This causes misfires and the unburned fuel could throw cat codes as well. The recall is up to 120K miles I believe. Replace the plugs and wires with genuine AC Delco / Delphi. The back bank is a major pain, don't leave the job to someone (mechanic or shop) you don't trust. It is a doable DIY job with a lot of patience and some basic skill. Have your mechanic read live data on the fuel trims, not just the codes. Unburned fuel reaching the O2 sensors could be vacuum leak (computer throwing more fuel at more air..leak) or unburned fuel from the misfiring cyl. Start with most likely which on this particular vehicle is the bad OE spark plug wire design. They short through the wires. Pull the plugs and you will likely see the burned arc marks on the plugs if that is the case. Don't go cheap, it's the plug wire defect that shorted and burned the plug. Replace them all with upgraded OE not cheap Autozone or you'll be doing it all over soon enough.

20

but what is goin on with my check engine light not even working?????? and the p0650 code??

20

I just got itfor a used dealership 143000 miles?

http://engine-codes.com/p0650_chevrolet.html Have you checked all fuses, had codes cleared, and tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for greater than 30 minutes to reset computer? Other than the codes, are you experiencing any symptoms from the Equinox not running properly?

http://www.justautorepair.com/chevrolet/equinox/remote-start-key Pop the hood and look at the spark plug wires. Are they numbered 1 - 6? If so, those appear to be original equipment. Buying used and not knowing if those have been changed, I would start there. Replace the plugs and wires with AC Delco / Delphi. Common issue with the Equinox that resulted in the campaign that extended the plug wires to 120K mile replacement by Chevy. If the wires look good and you are unsure... replace them along with the spark plugs. You don't want to ruin the plugs after 6 months when the plug wires short the plugs again. Been there and done that.