Chrysler PT Cruiser overheating when A/C is on

Asked by Oct 28, 2016 at 11:57 AM about the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

About a month or so ago, my car started overheating and blowing warm air when A/C was on. It would only do it every once in a while. We replaced the relays and the problem was fixed for about 3 weeks. All of a sudden, it started doing it again, but this time it did it every time the car was on. The check engine light also came on and it was saying it was a fan problem. We replaced the radiator fan, the relays again, and the thermostat. My check engine light went off and the car ran great, for about a week. All of a sudden, the check engine light came back on, but the car was still running fine. We took it to Autozone and it was saying the fan was the problem again. The guy told us it could be a faulty sensor. It still ran great for a couple days, but yesterday, I had the A/C on and was stopped at a red light and it started overheating again. I was alone, so I pulled over in a parking lot and let it cool down. I wasn't far from home, so I decided to try to drive it home. I turned the A/C off and drove home and it was fine. I sat in the driveway with the car idling for 10 minutes with the A/C off and it was fine the whole time. I then turned the A/C on, and it started overheating again. We don't know what else the problem could be. We don't have the money to put it in the shop. We need it fixed as soon as possible, but we're at a loss. Can anyone help?

Check engine light usually means your gas cap is not secure. I think the overheating is the result of maybe a defective thermostat. I would try putting a new one even if you did replace it already. Also, make sure you have the right mixture of anti- freeze in your radiator and make sure its not leaking out anywhere. I wish you luck!

We have already checked the gas cap. If the thermostat is still the problem, I don't understand why 2 different thermostats didn't work within a month's time. We will check the radiator. Thank you!

It’s faitly common for the low speed side of the radiator fan to go out. Mine was blowing cold air when I was on the move, but once I would stop, the car idle would get terribly bad, then the AC would go warm. So, the pressure in the AC system gets too high, a safety valve allows Freon to escape and the cooling is degraded. I changed the radiator fan motor assembly and had to recharge the AC system and have enjoyed a cool car ever since... two years ago.