Why is My Pt Cruiser overheating?

Asked by Mar 03, 2015 at 01:42 PM about the 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

My 2002 PT Cruiser was overheating on my way out of town i drove for about 12 miles then it started bubbling over into my reservoir. and reached a hot temperature almost all the way so i replaced the thermostat and it helped out a little but it still heads in btw hot and ambient temperature before i pull over. My fan works perfectly and has a new thermostat Help me please!?

also forgot to mention that i haven't put the new heating core in yet although i have it in my house dont have the time yet, as well as im not loosing much coolant maybe like a pint or so

If you allow the car to cool off try removing the radiator cap and start the car. Watch to see if the fluid is circulating in the radiator, if it doesn't appear to be it is likely your water pump.

ok i will try this and get back with you thank you!

i just tried it and the water pump is operating perfectly the radiator fluid went down and was circulating......

What's the temperature outside?

56 degrees

Never mind i have figured out the problem it was caused by trash and gunk built up inside my radiator as well as half of the radiator had bent vents that run up and down it have ordered a new one so cross fingers! by the way thanks to all who answered there were so many opinions on this crapy website that i couldnt keep up ,,,, good thing that i didnt wait on a response here because yall SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you ask a veterinarian to diagnose your illness over the internet and seriously expect an accurate diagnosis sight unseen. You initiated the inquiry and good people are attempting to share their experiences and offer input so that you can get on the road again. You might back off the Master part of Mike and take a more subservient role to those who are trying to help. Maybe their timing isn't suitable to your timing, but regularly maintaining your car might have helped you avoid this problem in the first place. If you bought the car used, taking it to a reputable mechanic should have been the first order of business before buying the car. Not trying to be snide here, but when you ask for free advice, be a little more humble about the suggestions that others offer in the way of vicarious help. Hope what you discovered resolved your problem and that your further motoring is trouble free.