STRANGE issue regarding power/battery

10

Asked by Nov 21, 2014 at 03:53 PM about the 2008 INFINITI G37 Sport

Whats up everyone, i'm new to this forum so please bare with me.
I am having a strange probably in my 2008 g37 coupe, and wanted to get as much input as I could possibly find online before going in to a professional.

The ISSUE: the main problem at the moment is that the car will spontaneously shut off while driving, or go in to limp mode. After disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, the battery will not be able to start the car (electronics will work but car will not start). After either a jump, or a recharge the battery will work fine again. Now this happens at complete random times and without warning, but its happened atleast 10 times now. My problem is trying to find out the cause of this; battery, alternator, fuse, ground, etc.

BACKSTORY: So when thsi initially happened I took the battery into an advanced auto, and after charging and testing it, they told me the battery had to be replaced because at the moment it was only holding about 500 of 800 cca. The guy recomended I try it out and if the alternator charges the battery, great, and if not than they will replace it under warranty. Well I tried it out and it worked fine for about a day and a half until it died on me randomly at a shopping center.
I took it back to a different advanced auto, and after charging it they told me the battery is fine and convinced me the issue lied in something else.

At this point I am at a loss because when the car is working, everything functions properly; battery, alternator, assuming all fuses, etc. It is just this random shutting off that has me at a loss.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

11,795

This is a complete shot in the dark, but you may have a bad ECU on your hands. If everything else electrically is functional while you're having this issue, the engine control module could be glitching out.. I would recommend searching online forums to find out if anyone else has had similar problems. What I have found is that if you are having a problem, chances are someone else has been through the same thing with the same vehicle.

11,795

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t30745_ds505423

10

That could be a possibility but like I said when the car is being driven, everything is completely normal with zero issues. It is literally jsut these random times where it'll turn off. A bad ECU wouldnt have intermittent symprtoms I dont think... But I forgot to mention also that the car has an aftermarket viper alarm system. Im curious if this has anything to do with it.

70

Omarg37...I hope you have your problem solved by now but I would like to share with you and other about my problem with starting my G37 this week. I have been packing the car for a lengthy trip and the doors and trunk were left open or several hours and the battery became so low that I had to jump start the car. I wasn't able to run the car for any length of time to charge the battery but everything seemed to be okay. I finished packing the car and decided to start the car to make sure I had enough charge. It would not start. So out come my other car for a jump start. Here is where things got squirrely. With the heavy duty jumper cables in place, the car providing the jump running, I tried to start the car. It didn't turn over any better than with no jumpers in place. I made sure the jumper cables had proper contact and tried again. Same results. A half crank and dead. After scratching my head for a while I sawe that the battery has water caps (6). I unscrewed the caps and noted that the water was a bit low. Filled the battery with distilled water as recommended to a bit beyond the bottom of the whole above the plates. I reconnected the jumpers and waited a couple minutes and tried to start the car. Note that the water was not that low in most cells and just a little water has appeared to solve the problem. I will get the battery checked out tomorrow for cranking amps but I am astounded at what just a little additional distilled water added to the battery did! Your symptoms could match this scenario. Check the battery water would be my recommendation.

Hello its your Viper alarm starter kill wiring.It most likely is not installed properly.I would look into that.Hope this helps

10

Have same issue just like know guys if you fix it?

10

Let me know please!

30

I OWN A 2102 INFINTI G 37 XS IT WILL NOT TURN OVER FOR A SPARK TO TURN OVER BUT MY OTHER CONCERN IS THAT WHEN I WAS ENGAGING THE THE PUSH TO START BUTTON AND BREAK TO TURN IT OVER THE CAR KEPT FLASHING THE DASH LIGHTS AND THE DOOR LIGHTS CUTTING ON AND OF BUT NOT STARTING

2012 G37x - I just had a similar problem after a car wash. After arriving home, I noticed my battery was almost entirely drained and I couldn't restart. No issues prior - Wondering if something got wet from the car wash?

I had the same issue with the engine just randomly shutting off. Took it to the dealer. Turns out to be crankshaft timing sensor. They replaced.it and the other camshaft timing sensors and solved the issue.