What do I need to provide the dealer with aside from a cashier check when I pay for a car in full the day I buy it?

65

Asked by Sep 12, 2012 at 01:16 PM about the 2008 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe

I am planning on buying a 2007 or 2008 Mustang GT Deluxe in November. I plan on paying for the car in
full the day I buy it. Aside from the cashier's check what else am I going to need to provide the dealer?

915

not much, pretty much when u start the buying process they're gunna be having u signing all sorts of papers....even if u pay in cash they will have u fill out a credit form and make sure u actually have the funds, otherwise u could cancel the check anyway

915

if u dont have good credit and ur paying in cash AND they still want a credit report....say no and stand ur ground, they r going to try and get the credit report so they can turn around and say "wow u have good credit! u know, we can get u our lowest payment plan yet with this score!" because thats when they get another 20% comission on the car

135

Cj ur rite I work @ at a car lot and having an individual pay cash is always better but something we don't see a lot of. As far as the commission I wish it was that much but more like half then a third of that. Checking the credit report gives the seller an idea of what type of person u r good credit they will try to convince u to purchase a more expensive car maybe even finance the remainder that u dont pay in cash which does give the seller a larger commission stick to ur guns

9,425

I have bought my last two vehicles with cash. Both were paid with using cashier's checks (who really wants to carry 15 grand in cash). They checked my license and my insurance, put the temp tag in the back window and I drove them off of the lot.

195

Actually if you are paying cash for the car try this: See if they wil take a credit card (assuming you have a card with a high $$ limit) for payment. typically a merchant has to pay a 2 or 3% fee on every credit card transaction. If they say "yes" then on the day of purchase say you will pay for the car in cash if they subract another 2 or 3% off the sale as that is the cost to the CC company they'd have to pay anyway. They'll be mad but hey you are doing them a favor buying the car from them. I did this a couple of times and it worked...but they weren't too happy...LOL

135

Too bad u don't want an 06 I got one for you only 64000 miles! Fully loaded new convertible top,with a transferrable 24 month warranty, :-)

445

THE DEALER MIGHT ASK FOR YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE. SHOW IT SO THEY KNOW IT'S VALID. DO NOT LET THEM HAVE IT, THEY'LL COPY IT. YOU DON'T WANT IT COPIED. IN AN EARLIER ANSWER SOMEBODY MENTIONED YOU CANCELLING YOUR CHECK, IF THE DEALER SAYS THIS IS WHY THEY WANT THIS OR THAT INFO FROM YOU. STOP THEM RIGHT THERE. BECAUSE YOU CAN NOT STOP PAYMENT ON A CASHIER'S CHECK. AND YOU DON'T NEED I.D. YOU USE IT. THE BANK FILLS IN THE NAME OF THE PAYEE FOR YOU. DON'T ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS!!!!