how do i determin the value of a restorable car

Asked by Feb 06, 2008 at 12:43 PM about the 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible

the interior is in good shape except for the carpet. The top is ok and the oporation is questionable.the body is repairable but it needs a new floorboard. the car has a 6 cyllendar automatic in it but the current owner has a 302 boss engine and auto trans to go with. the wheels are original but the car has not movedat all for the last 20 years. I am considering buying this car but niether the owner or myself has any idea what it's worth. could someone please help me. I live in Grand Rapids Mi so if anyone can help please contact me. thank you jerrypell3@aol.com

43,955

Would not give more than $1000 for this vehicle. 1. You are in Michigan, prime rust-belt territory. 2. Engine does not start and even though you have a spare engine, assume the worst, that the factory engine is just scrap metal from not being used. 3. Spare engine is not original, so the value of a "numbers matching" restoration will not be there, and it will always be a 6-cyl automatic Mustang which has had a different engine and trans put in it. 4. Operation of top questionable? This can get expensive. I would spend a little more to either get one that's worth restoring (i.e. higher collector value from desireable options) or that is already at least running.

1,285

What is the year of the vehicle?? Assuming it is a pre-1974 Mustang , it would be worth something , provided it is in original condition ( original motor, interior, paint , ect. ) Six cylinder cars tend to be at the bottom of pile , when it comes to value , unless it has some other rare options . Or if you really like the car , and want a good looking ride, with good fuel economy, then this might be a good one to get . If it is in good condition , has no rust , and will run , it should be worth fixing up. If you cannot operate the power roof , and the car looks "shabby " ( missing trim and interior stuff) you might want to keep looking......esp if it has been driving in winter climates . Unless you can get the car for under $1000 , it probably should be passed over , and you keep looking.

165

I agree! Unless you can get it really cheap, it's usually better paying more, but getting a better starting point. I would only consider it if you can you do a lot of the work yourself. If you decide to do it, make sure you look at the undercarriage, to make sure the unibody is strong (not full of wholes), pay close attention to the shock towers, unibody frame (front/rear). -As for the engine, make sure it's not siezed... but expect work... = $$$ Good luck