Why does my car turn off when stopped for too long?

Asked by Jul 20, 2015 at 03:07 PM about the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

When stopping at a red light my car shakes a little and turns off. If i step on the gas a bit while stopped it stops shaking at that light and does it again at the next. My car is about to hit 100,000 miles. I'm not sure if it's also related but when I turn on the AC it shakes even more and stepping on the gas a bit does not help. The belt on the ac compressor starts making a clicking sound as well.

17,660

When was last time you had a tune up ? Maybe a miss firing spark plug Or did maintenance like check air filter, replace fuel filter, clean throttle body and idle air control valve or mass air flow sensor depending on which one you have and also add some fuel injector cleaner to gas tank ? As far as as the clicking of the compressor is it the belt or the compressor itself making the clicking noise ?

Spark plugs were all changed in June. I'm not sure but the engine light turned out and took it to a store it read Catalytic convertor censor and I don't recall the other. It's not the belt it is the actual compressor, just clicks and stops the belt.

17,660

I can not say this is causing your problem but I do no that if you turn on your A.C and the vehicle shuts off you have a bad compressor the bearing are seizing up when you turn it in.

80

Your vehicle is running at less than normal power at idle...between the alternator and the AC compressor you can put a power demand on your engine as high as 10 HP. If you car stops with no engine check light it could be a fuel problem. Check fuel pressure at inlet to fuel rail..if there's an anomaly with the pressure check fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel regulator. Check for vacuum leaks if fuel regulator is vacuum controlled.

My car has the same problem 2009 Lancer, i noticed my radiator fan was not turning on when I turned the a/c on will this be the problem? Do the fans on your car work?