My car cuts off, first when I slow to a stop, then after a few second repeatedly.

Asked by Nov 13, 2013 at 01:00 PM about the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer DE

2008 Lancer. 144K miles. 1st time it happened once. Next day I checked my oil, and there was none (but i was just reaching 3k miles to my next oil change) I put 3 quarts in to get me through the weekend (2days later) until a full oil change. The next day, it happened again, but faster and more consistent (what I described in the opening) My car seems to be eating oil, but theres no signs of leaking, and no smoke. I have been really bad on maintenance :( No tuneups. My first car. Is it the oil thing thats causing the car to shut off? Or could it be something else? I was told it could be the idle air control valve, or bad fuel pump or low pressure. I dont know
. Please help.

immediately looking for a fuel pressure regulator...your has none but the fuel rail regulates (apparently)....but the oil problem is probably going to be a plugged PCV~ the crancase needs to breathe...this goodie (yours is plugged) will allow it to breathe and reduce the oil consumption~ alve&tbm=shop

Okay the "shuttin' off" is your ignition/starter relay cuttin' off for lack of the steady 12 volts~ op

the battery ground to the chassis ground if corroded (usually are due to the amperages involved) needs to be re-established....with a wirebrush, clean the connecting lug of the 1/0 battery cable and the spot where it connects to~ this way your relay will have enough POWER to keep the contacts alive~....okay? ~

Ill check out all that youve suggested. Thank you so much

keepin' my fingers crossed...really these are my first guesses...stay on target...stay on target....!~

the oil consumption is the biggest annoyance....might be a bad headgasket (the best case scenario)~ Positive Crankcase Ventillation means that the oily, splashy fumes from the crankcase have to go somewhere...out the PCV is the place for these fumes to go....but if is all fouled up...and cannot breathe, the head gasket cover will start bleedin' out oil~ you could check to see if the Valve Cover Gasket is still holding the crankcase oil in that~

Daniel Foster

i believe that your car is shutting down because of low oil,, these cars have a built in protection that shuts them down if low on oil so you dont seize up your engine, we need to find out why your losing oil,, my first instinct tells me you have a leak or bad rings

Daniel Foster

forgot to add check the coolant And transmission for your missing oil