Car stalls when stopped, and slowing down? Help!

Asked by Jan 19, 2015 at 08:55 PM about the 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer

So I have a 2004 Lancer.  It was running perfectly fine, but long story short, it wasnt driven, at all for like 4 months.  I go to start it and obviously the battery is dead.  I buy a new battery, and it starts up just fine.  I decide to drive it to work, I get about 2 minutes away from the house and it kinda of starts to act like its going to die when I take my foot off the gas.  The gas light is on, so I pull into the gas stating, stop at a pump and it completely dies.  I put $5 worth of gas in it and start it and let it idle and it dies again.  I decide to try and drive it home, and it dies at stop lights, and start to act like its going to die, if I take my foot off the gas.  I would stop at a light, flip into nuetral and rev the gas a bit and it wouldnt die.  I decided to try it again the next day and the exact same issue.

What could be causing this?  The gas that sat in the tank for 4 months?  It ran perfectly fine before that.  Could it be something with the battery replacement?  I starts fine.. I know nothing about cars, help me!!

Perhaps yu should start by adding a fuel stabilizer to the tank. 4 months is enough time for the fuel to start breaking down.,,

This happened to me with my 2005 lancer, I thought the clutch was going out. I hadnt driven the car in 2 months. 1.) If the shifter moves freely between 1st and reverse while the car is off, stationary and the clutch is not engaged. 2.) If the engine stalls when you release the clutch, while the car is on,in gear and stationary. if those 2 things happen then its probably not your clutch. all I had to do was bleed the Hydraulic system it was fast, easy and it fixed the problem.