Changing oil in a car that's been sitting

105

Asked by Mar 18, 2015 at 03:20 PM about the 1984 Pontiac Fiero Base

My 84 pontiac fiero has been sitting for 10
years and I need to change the oil. Is it okay
to change the oil normally or since it's been
sitting, should there be a special fluid
added or should I run it before changing the
oil, what's the best way to do this that's
good for my engine?

DO NOT RUN it before changing oil...(no additives needed) I doubt there is any gas in it after 10 years, no way. But take out spark plugs, squirt a SMALL amount of oil in combustion chamber, put gas in, fuel filter!! new battery and maybe just maybe it will start. Do NOT drive it on the tires it has, they are dangerous. Then if it's worth it put new belts and hoses all around. There is probably water in the tank, drain that out first

105

It's been in a heated clean garage for all 10 years, so the tires and belts and hoses are fine and I have started it and ran it for 10- 15 seconds to know that it does and it fired up. I was just curious about the oil...

299,415

Do what ford nut suggested and just drain and add new oil. The tires should be replaced, it is recommended that you shouldn't run tires 6 years after the manufacturing date. They are probably flat spotted due to sitting so long as well.

8,655

any aged rubber parts must be changed after 6 years incase of deteriation. oil must be changed to get all rust out and new additive in oil in to keep the engine from excessive wear.

775

These guys are telling you the truth. Also, do not trust the brakes. Make sure to change the brake fluid, wheel cylinders, brake calipers, and I would take a real close look at the rubber brake lines. Of course, the engine coolant is shot as well, so I would change that as well as the thermostat.

775

You might also consider removing the fuel tank and cleaning it out. If you don't you may end up replacing a lot of fuel filters, if the injectors do not clog up first. Good luck.

Good info Astre. And Jason. And Tom. Yep, any rubber, including seals that have dried up. 10 years is a long time, and t-samuel, we are thinking about your safety just as much or more than the car running. And all of us forgot to say oil filter!

Best Answer Mark helpful
105

Thanks guys!

70

these guys have you in the right direction I think.. I would just suggest changing with diesel engine oil of same weight to run for a couple of hundred miles and then change again with the normal gas engine oil. The reason is that the diesel oil has a lot more detergent in it and will clean out any rust or water or spider bodies (LOL) that might be floating around the engine tubes. The detergent will clean out the journals and fix you up. Also be sure to change the oil filters both times as after the diesel old has finished up cleaning out the garbage, it will be nicely deposited in the oil filter there for you to file away in the round can. change your radiator fluid too or you might see a busted water pump at an inoportune time.. Just sayin'... Good luck and it sounds like you are on your way!

I have had mine sitting for almost 15 years now n started it up other day for first time, gas in it also that old & started on 2nd time. I plan doing full service on it & get back on road. :)