Car doesn't stay running

105

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM about the 1984 Pontiac Fiero SE or Indy

I have a 4-cyl pontiac fiero se. It's been
sitting for about 7 years. when I first started
to work on it, it wouldn't run. I took the carb
apart, cleaned all the parts, soaked the
injector, and put it all back together. When I
was putting the injector back in, the small
o-ring on the bottom got a little damaged. I
didn't think it was a big deal, so I left it and
tried to start it and after a few cranks it fired
on its own. Sadly it doesn't want to stay
running. When I step on the throttle it bogs
down and sounds like it's not getting
enough gas. I changed the fuel filter and
the oil, but it has the gas in it from 7 years
ago. Could it be a bad fuel pump? Particles
in the fuel that are getting stuck in the
injector? The damaged O-ring? Carb
gaskets? What should I do? Also I'm trying
to do this on a low budget. THANKS!

695

I would get that bad gas out of there the gas today is garbage if it stands over a few months. I would change the O ring you can buy single O rings or by a kit with an assortment cheaply. Next you have to find and clean the IAC valve this is what controls the cars idle, this IAC is controlled by the computer, be careful cleaning it it's very the tip of it fits into a beveled hole this moves back and forth to control the idel.

105

Thank you, I was thinking that too. what's the easiest way to get the gas out of the fiero. Siphoning or take the whole tank off?

105

I cleaned the iac valve and it's still not running right. I think it's the gas and the o-rings and gaskets... am I right?

695

I would say you are on the right track this new gas is almost worthless when it's fresh, after standing for years it's total junk. We used to call it flat gas back in the day but that stuff at least burned in an engine this stuff is like water when it's gets old. I hate to leave any of it in my new corvette without adding a stabilizer

Best Answer
105

Yeah I bet, thanks for the help!

615

You mentioned a carb, and then described working on an injector. How could the car have both? I thought those cars were fuel injected. Old gas is useless, and will not run a car properly. With the car having sat for 7 years and being an older car, I would really check out the brakes system, including the changing the brake fluid, and inspection of all associated rubber parts. For your safely and the safety of others, Please make Sure this Car Will STOP itself before driving. Best of luck.

105

yeah, I didn't mean carb, I meant the trotted body

615

There is also likely a fuel injector driver pin.

615

A car I had kept dying, and the fuel injector driver was bad.

695

I think you will find the clean new gas will make a world of difference then and only then should you consider the fuel injector.

105

I've already cleaned the fuel injector so I think the new gas will do it, just runs hard with the old gas

Those guys are right, surprised it runs at all on that old gas

105

Haha, she barely runs

70

it is a throttlebody injector is it not? 4 cylinder? That thing looks like a carb but has a single injector that basically sprays down into the carb.. is that what you have there?