fuel isnt coming out of the carburator and the car wont stay running.

105

Asked by Mar 07, 2015 at 08:40 PM about the 1984 Pontiac Fiero Base

So my fiero has been sitting for 7 years and i recently wanted a project, so i got it out
and started working on it. The car cranks but it wont fire up. I had someone turn the
key while i poured a little bit of fuel into the car and it stayed running that way but
when we stopped adding fuel the car died.

I am getting fuel up through the fuel filter and its comes out and goes up to the
carburator and just stops. I cant see any fuel come out so im kinda at a stand still. I
took the carb off to clean it, but it seems to still be doing it. I dont know if there would
be a gasket problem (they all look fine) or the bowl of the carburator is messed up.

I really need help and any info will help, even if youre not 100% sure, id like to hear it.
Thank you!

Pull carb apart find the float and seat and make sure that under seat that it is not clogged up and float did not get bent. And check main jets .find or order carb book from O'Reillys and take your time on the rebuild clean up

760

The carb is probably gummed up from sitting so long. The jets, the bowl, floats, or some part is stuck or clogged. Have the carb removed, taken apart and then cleaned and checked. You should also have the gaskets replaced at that point as the cost is really low. Very typical for most carb on motorcycles, chainsaws, boats, cars and other carb fueled devices.

105

This carb doesn't have a float because it's half electronic.

56,855

After sitting for that long the carburetor needs to be professionally rebuilt. Do NOT buy a rebuilt one from the auto parts store!! Send yours out to be rebuilt. HTH. -Jim

Is this carb. maybe throttle body injection system ? if so the nozzles are stuck shut

105

Yeah, it's the the throttle body injection system. So how would I get them unstuck? I really don't feel like paying $60 for another, im on a tight budget.

Hey I pulled out some old Haynes books and found all info you can use if you can find any 85 up gm book ,but if u can't pull off the top cover scerws but don't pull off the 4 that hold the regular on bottom you should be able to pry up nozzles and cleanthe filters hope you can find some one with a book because it might need more than cleaning (mice or chipmunks)

760

It boils down to your time. If you have lots of time and nothing to do then remove it, and start taking it apart to clean out the dried up residue causing the blockage. If you dont have the time then just replace it. $60 is nothing compared to having a mechanic replace it. Most shops now charge $60-95/hr for labor plus parts and other "stuff" they find along the way. My washing machine timer cost $285 to replace, but I was able to clean the carbon coated contacts in about 45 mins using sandpaper glue to thin matchsticks. 4 years later its still working strong. I had to do this as it died with clothes still inside and the wife didn't want to wait 2 weeks for another timer for a 12 year old washer. It all boils down to your time and money, and need.

40

take injector off and put in ultrasonic cleaner an buzz crap out of it. I suggest rebuilding the injector and pop it back in. Listen when you turn key on to see if it is "clicking" which is the injector solenoid snapping on and off at very fast rate related to the throttle position.. check your throttle position as well since it drives the injector too.. you can actually test it with an ohm meter too... that is two points to dink around with. Rebuild kit for injector is $9 I think on ebay.. I would do it just for the heck of it if it was sitting aroung that long.. it has a couple of o-rings and a filter to replace in it.. easy as pie... ohm out your TB position (thingy attached to your throttle cable with wires sticking out of it (LOL).