Car doesnt want to stay running

Asked by May 09, 2015 at 04:20 PM about the 1984 Pontiac Fiero SE or Indy

I have an 84 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L 4cyl engine. Ive cleaned the TBI system along with a
rebuild kit, got a new Fuel Pressure Regulator, soaked the injector, and put fresh gas in
it. its sat for a few years but it cranks and will run, sometimes itll run for 5-10 seconds
and others it will run for 60-90 seconds. I think it could be the TPS, or it could be a
vaccum leak, but heres the thing. When i do have it running, i put my foot on the gas
and instead of reving up, it bogs down and then stalls or sometimes returns to an idle
and then stalls. I need help!!!

Sound,s like a fuel issue,have you checked the fuel pressure?Pump may be bad.

when i disconect the fuel line from the TBI it gets plenty of gas. how should i test the preassure?

You will have to rent a pressure checker unless you have one,undo fuel line at tb and hook it in,turn car over,will give you a pressure of at least 34 psi and hold it,if not replace the fuel pump.

Ignore James Rhodes, I am still driving my three Pontiacs. They are 1976-1979 H Body cars. Get a clue James.

James Rhodes is an idiot. do not listen. Check your vacuum lines to see if a hole somewhere. Feel around and listen for a hiss. I can almost guarantee that is the issue.. that or a sensor has failed such as O2 or a temp.