I have a 1991 Chevy cavalier z24 that has some sort of wiring problem. The alternator was bad so put a new one on and it was running fine for a couple hours. My brother left the wires exposed and they melted so I taped up all the wires and now its acting like the alternator is bad again. Before wires melted autozone tested car and said everything was right and it was 100%. Now it will not start unless jumped and is giving me all sorts of issues like wanting to start if key not even in ignition etc. My questions are does anyone know what could be the issue? Can anyone tell me about specific wires and where they lead to and what they control? Could the alternator have been blown again by the wires not being taped correctly? Any help would greatly be appreciated I'm out of answers and out of patience. Thank you

Asked by Aug 31, 2015 at 10:06 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

68,955

If the wire,s have been melted or even heated it could have damaged more than the alternator,sounds like you may need a new harness to the alternator and check all other wires under hood,even grounds,then go from there,this could have damaged the ECM,but untill you fix the wiring issue you want know,

Best Answer Mark helpful