camry transmission problems

Asked by Feb 04, 2009 at 08:48 AM about the 2007 Toyota Camry LE

I believe that all 2007-09 camry's have shifting issues. I owned a 2007 se 4cyl for 15k miles. I could never accept that the car was safe with regard to shifting. When I would slow down and then accelerate again, the transmission would have some "dead time" before it kicked in. Sound familar? How about that great cruise control when you would ascend a modest hill? It would never stop that darn downshifting. I don't understand how Toyota can keep the same drive train with this issue. What was my decision to get rid of it? My wife needed to use it one day and I really was worried about the shifting/sluggishness while she would be driving it. We traded it 18 months ago on a 2007 accord which doesn't share any of the drive train issues.

90

I have an '08 Solara with the same transmission shifting issues; delay/lag on downshifts. And I also can't believe Toyota considers this normal, safe and have continued to use it in the newer models. I have driven Toy's for 20 yrs but will never buy another due to this faulty transmission. As soon as I can afford it, I will trade this car off.

105

Hey folks just a question, I had this problem and discovered that the vehicle speed sensor was covered in tranny fluid and was not making a good connection. Just a thought.

100

I'm leasing Toyota Camry 2009 and had another 2 months until my lease ends, I had a shifting problem so I took it to the dealership and have learned that it wouldn't be covered under the manufacture warantee. Now I have to pay $4200 to fix it. Toyota is really f-kup by doing this. BE AWARE OF IT BEFORE YOU LEASE ONE!

30

I just bought a 09 camry. Used of course. But I'm flat out disgusted with toyota. My transmission Thuds when I'm coming to a stop. and I notice the lag in shifts. I had a 07 corolla before this and it had a problem with similar shifting and it ended up being fixed once they replaced the computers. this was done under recall but I'm thinking the camry computers were defective as well and need to be replaced. I'm going to honda for my next car.

40

PURE GARBABE IF YOU AS ME, I WORK AS A ENGINEER SO MATH AND DESIGN TASKING IS A NORM. I HAVE OWNED ALOT OF CARS AND TO BE PERFECTLY HONEST, TOYOTA CAMRY MECHANICALLY IS GARBAGE!..THE LOOKS AND STYLING OF THE CAR IS ONLY HALF OF THE CAR,...MY IS A 08 AND I JUST GOT A 4TH TRANSMISSION INSTALLED! NOBODY IS GIVING ME ANSWERS AS TO WHAT IS HAPPENING, BUT THE SURE WANT TO CHANGE OUT THE PARTS AND BILL TOYOTA CANADA FOR IT..NEVER THE LESS WITH MY EXPECIENCE NEITHER THE DEALSHIPS OR THE CORP WANT TO HELP ITS ALL ABOUT SALES AND HIDING THE PROBLEM. THIS WAS MY FIRST TOYOTA AND THE LAST...BOTTOM LIKE BUY A GERMAN CAR...FORGET THE JAP SCRAP!

30

Had our trans BLOW OUT at 80,000 mi.2002 camry.Dealer replaced it with a used salvage trans. I asked for my original to be checked,I found TWO Bolts from ring gear on differential came loose and blew out the Case.SooooooooooooCASE CLOSED. Still running 174,000 miles 4-20-13

40

I have the 6-speed V6, lost the transmission today. It blew all over the bottom of the car. Not sure of the verdict yet.

100

98 Toyota camry shifting crazy and it will bog down when stopping

100

Sorryt

100

That was a question not an answer

50

I have 2012 I have transmission problem when to dealer 5 time they think it's ok but no why no recall transmission

20

toyota is dumb for not having a scheduled maintenance for a trans flush on their life time fluid !! do a flush every 30,000 miles !!

20

i will take my 99 Solara 6 cylinder over the newer toyotas anyday of the week

110

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry that wont go reverse when the car is pointing up hill? it like go in neutral and it wont reverse till I got on flat landing after a while. anyone know whats goin on

08 camry lunged and hit the neighbors fence knocking it down, also has a real "flat spot when coming onto freeway to get up to speed, Toyota says its fly by wire technology and it cant be fixed because its "normal", i ran Dodge, Oldsmobile and Chevrolet dealers as well as been a tech forever something is wrong here and Toyota doesnt want it known cause in my opinion it will become a "NATIONAL RECALL" and affect there bottom line with no regaerd to the consumers well being!!!! M..O..N..E..Y------>>>>Y ----->>>>because they like it.

21,795

Too bad you don't have their CVT transmission, it is a much better system.

10

I love my Camry. But, I have had a few issues with it. I've notices the hard shifting when going up a tiny hill or when you go to pass someone. I'm having the issue right now on what's clinging under the hood. It kinda sounds so like a belt but, it also knocks, which makes me very weary. I'm afraid it my be my transmission. I'm unsure though. If anyone has had this issue, please help. I've had a few people look at it and I've heard many things. So please, HELP!

50

My 2009 Toyota Camry is a 118,000 miles and is services for Oil Changes as required by the dealer and it's almost time for an oil change and now the car will not shift to drive. Why is this happen?

2,020

Guru38z.....did yo ever resolve the issue with you vehicle?

110

Yea I got a new transmission and it didn't work either so I thought of something wrong with the car but it week later I put it into reverse and it just works. Crazy cars

2,020

interesting...thanks for the update.

10

on 2013 I bought a 2011 toyota camry Le 2.5. After a few days I noticed a jerk when shifting gear especially when it was cool. also a hard shifting down when coming to stop. the dealer did not figure out the problem. But a friend of mine told me that was normal because a new transmission CVT or VARIABLE. That is to save Gas and to avoid wear. Then i red it in the web to. now I donot pay mind anymore, even thought it is very annoying.