Camry Starter Problems

160

Asked by Jan 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM about the 1996 Toyota Camry

I have a 96 toyota camry that wont start.  when i turn the key, the starter clicks but doesnt turn.  I replaced the
starter and it works fine (as does the one i took out).  the battery was obviously checked and is charged.  when i
hook up the starter to the leads and its not in the engine it doesnt turn (in other words, its not a locked engine).  
I replaced one of the fuses in the starting relay and it didnt make a difference.  So the problem is between the
battery and the starter - the starter isnt getting enough power (if i take it to an autoparts store it works when
hooked up to their system but doesnt work (but makes a click) when hooked up to the car.  any ideas?

The starter relay, or solenoid, itself may be bad if you checked the fuse but not the relay itself. Seems like you have done all the right things, the battery of course, all that. The cable to the starter comes to mind. There is a way, if you have a manual transmission, be sure it's in neutral, make sure the parking brake is on, chock all wheels and take a jumper cable from the positive terminal on the battery directly to the starter cable lug, key in "on' position, see what happens.

160

Thanks David. i did this and still get a loud click from starter, Checked both wires into starter - the large one from the battery registers 12V and the smaller one registers 12v when i turn the ignition. i took the starter back out and hooked it up to the wires and turned the key. the loud click is the starter wheel (with the teeth) moving outward from the starter and not turning, when they test the starter at autozone, the starter wheel moves outward and spins. seems like its not getting enough current?

410

I have a 94 Toyota Camry LX and my car wont start. The boyfriend check the battery, the starter, the alternator, n the distributor n they are still good but still have not start.. i just dont know what wrong with it. please help?

170

I have a 1998 Camry wagon and I had intermittent starting problems with the starter motor not turning but would work OK after a couple of tries. The problem was with the starter relay in the fuse box. To replace this was a simple unplug job. The problem was that the Toyota brand relay part No 28300-10020 costs $NZ162.00! ! So I found a direct replacement 40A relay from Jaycar Electronics LKK M4 012-1H2GR. Cost was $NZ7.90 and 10 minutes of my time. All I had to do to the LKK relay was to remove the metal fixing bracket. Shame on you Toyota for charging so much for a 12 volt relay.

3,445

You have a bad ground at battery end lease clean and replace End..when you jump the car you get same.the car your jumping from might also have bad ground ground to body alt brkt or ac brkt See of you can get it to turn over.tru again let me know

150

I have a 95 Camery and just stopped running while driving. No power at all so I found a blown fuse that said 100A. I replaced that and have power to everything but still won't start. Just a click a few times then quits. I replaced the battery and also removed the starter. Took the starter to NAPA and they checked it 3 times and said it was good and no problems. My question is when they test the starter, do they test the solenoid or are they able to tell if it is bad. Do you suggest replacing the solenoid? I was also wondering about the starter relay. Any suggestions please and thank you

10

Same thing just happened to me. It ended up being the cable from the battery to the starter that was loose. I yanked on the cables a few times and it started right up. Let it run and filled all fluids. The battery water was really low too. Everything is great now!

10

If your car just clicks when trying to start, (Older Toyota,s) And battery is good..(Boost cables applied) Just try multiple rapid starts. Chances are the relay contacts in solenoid are dirty/worn. Getting starter out was a tight fit. (94 pickup V6) I opened starter and cleaned contacts. (one contact showed moderate wear) I have been limping on this for the last 5 months. Mad at self for not getting starter part # as there are multiple contact kits ($14- $40) over internet. easy swap. Not sure which one I need though.