Car won't shift from park into reverse all of the time, without a couple of tries

Asked by Feb 23, 2010 at 02:01 PM about the 1999 Buick Century Limited

I have a 1999 Buick Century.  Last week I took the car in to have a coolant leak fixed.  They replaced the intake gasket and thermostat.  Since I got it back, there have been 2 or 3 times when the car would not go into reverse from park.  I have to make several attempts to get it into reverse.  My service engine light has also come on again. I am wondering if there could have been something that occurred while they were fixing the coolant leak that could now be causing my transmission issue?  

215

interesting i cant think of much that a coolant leak would relate to trans not shifting but check engine light being on could be caused by their repairs trans not shifting may be your brake light switch starting to fail or stick. if the swithc does not open when you press the brake pedal you wont be able to shift out of park.