Has anyone had problems with tires losing air excessively every few days, particularly in cold weather?

160

Asked by Dec 13, 2011 at 09:10 PM about the 2007 Volkswagen Passat 3.6L 4Motion Wagon

The dealer cannot determine why the tires lose air.  They have taken off wheels and sanded
them to ensure good seal yet the problem persists.  Have to put in air every few days.  No
problems with tires or valve stems.  Everything checks out fine, yet problem persists.  It is
annoying.

235

I had a similar problem sometime ago on one aluminum rim and it was the corrosion on that sealing bead area.Once i installed new tires with the bead area sanded it was ok no more pressure loss.Try installing inner tubes.

195

Have the entire wheel submerged in a water tank and wait as long as it takes to get bubbles. If air is leaking, it must me coming from somewhere. Tires and valves can leak so slowly that they are difficult to check with only a soapy water spray or brush. More than likely, it is the tire. Cracked wheels are very rare... Are the wheels steel or alloy? Steel wheels have potential leak spots where the wheel is welded.

160

Thanks for your response. The wheels are alloy. The tires were submerged but I don't know how long they stayed so. I will look into your suggestion.

160

Thanks for the info. Will give it a try. The dealer did sand the wheels, but the problem is still there.

160

Thanks. The wheels were sanded, but there problem is still there.

40

I'm currently having the same type of problem with my 2008 Passat. I replaced my tire and it's still losing air. I've had it looked at by several different garages and nobody can seem to find the problem. They submerged it in water and no leaks. There's no visible problems with the rim or the wheel itself. I'm currently sitting at work and I knwo my tire is going to be flat when I go out to leave. It's so frustrating!

160

I am sorry you are experiencing this problem also. It is so annoying it makes you feel like getting rid of the car. A week ago the dealer replaced the stems. They attach to the sensor system inside the wheel and are pricey. They are about 200 to replace for each wheel. It has been a week and no air has leaked. However, the temps have been mild, so I will see what happens when the temps get i to the low 20s consistently. That is when it happens. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

100

We have the same problem with my wife's 2003 Passat. She has ruined several tires because of it. We had the wheel sanded and treated but still have a leak. We are thinking of replacing all the wheels but I'm not sure that will solve the problem.

20

I have the same problem with my 2010 Subaru, the tires are constantly losing air and nobody can find the problem. On my last visit to Subaru they told me the tires have dry rot....sounds like B.S. to me!

8,765

Two things: First is the age of the tires. If they are too old, as in after date of manufacture, they can seep air out in so many tiny holes that they don't show bubbles. No tire should be in use more than 5 years, and never more than 10 years after manufacture. The second problem can be with the rims. Some alloys are porous. If you damage the clear coat, the air can seep out through the rim itself. When you have a chronic problem like this, the sure fire solution is to replace the rims, and I would go with a good aftermarket manufacturer rather than the expensive factory replacements which will only develop the same problem later. One other thing: Never run alloy wheels in the winter. The salt causes all sorts of problems. Have a set of true winter tires on steel rims. They may not be pretty but the are a LOT safer than any all-season, and the expensive alloys will be preserved.

1,415

and do keep looking for a tire dealer that cares enough to actually find your problem -- not all of them care or have sense enough to find the problem. It's not rocket science the air has to be leaving somewhere. filling with Nitrogen may help a little too

20

No proof of this theory BUT the technician in my Garage said that alloy rims can become porous, however he did, as suggested by several Commentators, sand the rims and apply a sealant, with no real improvement. In desperation I agreed to allow him to fit inner tubes (not too happy) but it did solve the problem permanently. I do believe however that should you get a nail into the tyre, with inner tube fitted, it will deflate quicker!!!

8,765

Most modern radial tires are meant NEVER to have inner tubes in them. The tube rubs against the carcass and causes friction which increases heat. Either ditch the existing rims and get good aftermarket rims, or switch to good old fashioned plain steel rims. Either way, I would not stay with the tubes at all.

80

I wish I could help you bit my daughter and i have the same problem she has a 2013 jeep wrangler and i have a 2013 jeep Cherokee and every 2 days we need to add air to brand tires we are tired and cold they are Michelem tires and wrangler tires very expensive and brand new and can not find the reason for it so if anyone can i would greatly appreciate your help........

160

They finally corrected the problem by filing down the little "nubbies" that were on the inside of the tires. These were keeping the tires from getting a solid seal with the rim. During cold weather, this was enough to lose a lot of air. This drove me crazy for two years and caused me to replace tires prematurely.

30

I am having trouble with a 16 year old bridgestone blizzak which leaks about 8 pounds per nite when on the car, but does not seem to lead at all when sitting on the garage floor and off the car.

80

I've had my 2007 Mazda 6 for four years. It only has 47,000 miles on it. Every six months or so, I have to tires re-sealed because they leak and go flat, yet they keep needing the same repair over and over. I've never had a problem like this with all the numerous cars I've owned. The tires are in perfect condition. My guess is it's the wheels which I would hate to spend the money to replace. Any thoughts?

100

We replaced all 4 wheels on our 2003 Passat with after market wheels from Auto Parts Warehouse online, www.autopartswarehouse.com. They were $198 each with free shipping. The local VW dealer wanted $400 each. Since we swapped out the wheels we have had no more leaks. The theory behind the leakage is the alloy wheels start corroding on the inside over time. We had the old wheels buffed and sealed but it never resolved the problem.

70

I have a 2009 Grand Cherokee and have had problems with all 4 valve stems. They all crack and then eventually break off losing all air in the tire. I just blew a tire doing 65 mph 2 weeks ago and almost rolled the Jeep. I am now filing a complaint with Jeep and others !

50

I have jeep patriot leaks like crazy since I put the new tires on.. Hmmm we have a jeep theme here.. It is so frustrating......

30

I had a similar problem with my Goodyear tires, only when the temperature dropped below freezing a bit, the colder the worse the problem. All 4 seemed to be affected, but one was worse than the rest. Now that the temperature here in NY is usually freezing or higher the problem seems to have gone away. I took my car to my local tire shop and the put it (the worst one) in their water bath and found small small leaks every where there was a small crack, due to dry rot. the tires are about 6 years old and do show many small "cracks" all over the tire. It seems the leak more the lower the temperature. I filled them two days ago and the pressure hasn't dropped at all in any tire. I have the built in monitors. The tire guy said I could put in Fix-A-flat but that would probably ruin the pressure sensor.

40

I bought a new set of tires and rims for my 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara on Saturday and woke up to a flat left rear on Sunday. Called AAA and the guy had a 120 volt compressor. Filled the tire with air and drove it to the place where I bought them. Turns out there was some hardware that connects the sensor to the valve stem that had gone bad. The replacement parts and the labor was about $10 per tire. Haven't lost an once of air since.

I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot that I took in many times on the warranty to fix leaking tires.Jeep now is not putting those tires on their new SUVs. 30,000 KMs on new tires and I have to replace them! Plus fix the monitor never mind the aluminum valves that split and leak.That cannot ever be change because of Jeep does not have them for that year.Though the new SUVs do not have them.So air in the tires every two weeks.Now I am paying a 1000 dollars to fix a problem Jeep obviously knew about but kept putting off.I cannot imagine people that drive their SUV 30,000 in six months having to change their tires.Tires that are marked for up to 100,000 km.Time to contact Chrysler.If I left those tires on I cold have blown a tire and got in an accident!

10

Got a 10 year old SS. The O/E Goodyears were awesome. Both the Yokohama's & now Perilli's do the same thing. Right front looses air slowly. No other one does. Guessing a bad wheel but don't trust a soul to check it. Or, just get a Goidyear O/E tire instead of the imported trash.

2009 VW Jetta, worked fine for years. Installed first set of replacement tires, and the problems began. Tires are fine around town BUT when traveling at highway speeds various tires would go flat. Now putting on second set of replacements and still have the issue with ONE tire. Still running on the original factory rims. Could it actually be the rims?

Yes I've seen it a few times but doesn't have to be your case but make sure they look and the rear of the rim REAL close because it can have a hairline crack.

I have had this happen twice. I had it happen on a truck and then on my car. Both times it was the valve stem and air pressure monitor. The first time the tire manufacturer wanted to replace the tires. I said we should replace the valve stems and air pressure monitors before we replace the tires. It save 4 perfectly good tires from the landfill.