94 Caprice not getting fuel.

20

Asked by Feb 05, 2017 at 08:44 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Caprice Sedan RWD

Hello,

One day I filled up the gas tank, went home, and later went down the street
but my car stopped. I tried starting it up, it would start and soon after shut off.

I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, but it still shuts seconds later. The car
will run if I pull the gas line from the throttle body.

Any ideas of what problem  can be?

80,285

Fuel pump relay? Make sure you have gas in the tank. These cars are notorious for the gas gauges being off by as much as a quarter of a tank. I bought my 93 Caprice brand new and over time the gas gauge got less and less accurate. My '94 Fleetwood (same car only it says "Cadillac" on it) with only 77,000 miles on it has an inaccurate gas gauge as well. When you see 1/4 of a tank on the gauge it's empty! HTH. -Jim

20

AskTrannyMan - I checked the cables and everything looks good and no corrosion of any kind. Js08016 - Mmmm I haven't checked relay. Is there a easy way to check if its a bad relay?

80,285

Honestly, I'd just replace it. The relay isn't that expensive. Usually around $15 tops. HTH. -Jim

20

True. Lets say I did replace relay and still having issue. What next? Thoughts on fuel injectors?

80,285

Check for a trigger signal for the fuel injectors with a noid light. If you have that, then yes, fuel injectors. But I doubt that both would fail together and prevent the engine from running. Was the service engine soon light on before it quit? If so and, hopefully, the battery hasn't been disconnected, do you know how to flash out the trouble codes with a paper clip (no joke) at the ALDL connector under the dash? HTH. -Jim

Have not drive it in 2 months and now want start what wrong with it