My camaro's headliner is dropping down.

5

Asked by Mar 08, 2007 at 06:23 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

It seems that the headliner is dropping down. I was told that I was supposed to have a professional cut open my roof and replace it with another one.

That I found stupid.

Is there anyway I could do this myself? Perhaps take off the headliner and glue it back up?

If so, how? I wouldn't know how to even take the headliner out.

Thanks

14,730

Dear ChrisUSMC-- I want you to know that you have asked the right person to answer the question about the headliner in your 1994 Chevrolet Camaro. In 1967 I had a summer job working on an assembly line building Chevrolets and my job was to glue in the padding under the headliner. The next guy sewed in the fabric headliner itself. The glue quickly covered my hands and arms and the fluffy padding was soon sticking to me everywhere. Needless to say, very many cars got built with no headliner padding and I quit my job a week later. I am told that in the mid-1990s General Motors was actually using velcro to help install the headliner. You should be able to get specific instructions at the parts counter of your local Chevy dealer. I doubt once you have the instructions that the job will be hard to complete. Even I got it right a couple of times. Good luck from Bovan.

125

You have to take the plastic trim on the posts next to the windshield and on either side of the rear window off to remove the headliner. From there you need to carefully remove the fabric of the headliner by simply pulling on one corner and then pulling all of it off. You will be left with a foam type surface and you need to take a wire brush and carefully remove this down to the backer board. You can get headliner at a local fabric store and get headliner adhesive. When you apply the adhesive you need to use the whole can and make sure the material is tight. I have done two headliners and i used actual headliner on neither of them I used camo material.